Passenger on oxygen

CApilot55

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CApilot55
Hello all, this is my first post and I see this is a very active forum. I am happy to be here, but I do have a question for you veteren pilots out there. I am a new minted private pilot and would really like to take my dad flying before he is really unable to go anymore. He is on oxygen at home and requires it 24/7. Although he does have a portable oxygen tank that he uses when he is on the go, my question is as long as I stay relatively low, is there any thing wrong with flying with him being on oxygen? And have any of you flown with people on oxygen before? Thank you for your time.

There isn't much difference between aviation and medical oxygen....

Not an issue. And yes, I've flown my mother up to 3000 feet with a portable oxygen tank and cannula. The only issue is securing the tank in case of turbulence. Those won't be much fun to get whacked by. I tied it FIRMLY to the back seat leg.

Your dad may have to adjust the regulator for altitude. Just like if he was driving.

Should be no problem as long as you don't go to high .just remember to secure the bottle ,like to put it under the seat secured to the chair supports.also go on a smooth day.

That is the plan we are going to leave early in the morning for a quick 15 minute flight land have a pancake breakfast then fly back. I will also bring my Spo2 finger monitor.

There are other concerns however -

Is your dad still mobile? I would be concerned in an aircraft that has only one door - if you have only one way out and he is sitting next to that way out - and is not easily mobile there may be challenges to evacuating the aircraft in the event of emergency- that element needs to be evaluated as well -

You need to discuss this with Dad's physician. There may be issues about which none of us here can guess.

You need to discuss this with Dad's physician. There may be issues about which none of us here can guess.

Gotta go with Ron on this one. :yes:

Also, being ambulatory enough to exit on his own is a consideration.

There are other concerns however -

Is your dad still mobile? I would be concerned in an aircraft that has only one door - if you have only one way out and he is sitting next to that way out - and is not easily mobile there may be challenges to evacuating the aircraft in the event of emergency- that element needs to be evaluated as well -

He is very much ambulatory, and I am going in to speak with his primary physician on tuesday. Thanks guys

I got my ticket 4 yrs too late for Dad and 1 yr too late for my only remaining Grandparent. If at all possible, do it and take a third person for a few pics or video.

Thanks Wayne, Yes I think getting my ticket means just as much to my dad than it means to me. It is going to happen, August 10th. I am going to take him to the Commemorative Air Force Breakfast at KMOD. Thanks for all your help guys.

I used to fly with my dad on O2 from time to time. Doctor just said to use the pulse oximeter and watch the saturation closely. It was some of the best times I had with my dad.

If at all able, I would certainly try. I got my PPL at 43 years old ... unfortunately my father passed away just before I completed it. I took a lot of trips with my dad, but I wish I could have flown him on one. Don't pass it up or put it off!:nono:

Don't forget the obvious: keep oxygen away from fuel, and keep flame away from both. And keep attention on the airplane if/when you're fiddling with oxygen supplies.

Also, when you talk with your dad's physician, keep in mind that some people with COPD or similar conditions will have a different "normal" pulse oximetry reading, often as low as 88-92%, compared to normal (usually >95%). That's because while most of us use "too much CO2" as our body's signal to breathe, many people with COPD chronically have too much CO2, so they instead use "too little oxygen" as their signal (the so-called hypoxic drive).

So, if you do decide to use a pulse oximeter to guide your father's oxygen therapy, talk with his physician about what "his normal" is, and don't necessarily crank the O2 to get him up to 98% like you might with the average pilot.

There are formulae and tests that can be used to deduce how much oxygen will be needed aloft, but in all likelihood for a couple of 15-minute flights at 3,000 feet, your father's physician will just recommend turning the O2 up a bit if dad feels uncomfortable and landing if he still feels uncomfortable.

All that said, I've never met your father or reviewed his medical information, and this is not medical advice.

The rules for flying up to 3000 are almost certainly the same as the rules for driving up to 3000. Yes, consult the physician if in doubt, but don't make it more than it is. If you already know what to do to drive over Tioga Pass, you already know what to do in the airplane up to 10,000 MSL. Living in the Central Valley, it's a good probability process for going over the Sierra is likely already known. If it's prohibited, further consultation (and lower altitudes) or a no-go is required.

My wife uses O2 since recovery from lung surgery. We have flown many times since commercially with a POC. Since the cabin pressure altitude is 8000-10000 feet, flying is a non-problem to her. She would use her portable O2 tank with a conserver, but the airlines and FAA frown on carrying a highly pressurized tank on board. ;)

Lots of people do it every day. There are numerous POC's authorized for airline use.

We use her "walk around" bottle for our GA Flying since it is easier to handle and carry a spare in case of emergency, ground or air.

Check with the Doc but I would be greatly surprised if the Doc doesn't give you an OK.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back