SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Maybe Dr. B can he'p me out here.

My mom (83 years) showed us all, she smoked all her life and sternly resisted all efforts to persuade her to stop.

She did, finally, a few years ago when she began to have to use O2 all the time; carries one of those portable puffer-thingies attached to a cannula all the time, and you can find her at the house by simply following the long, clear tube.

I want her to fly with me at least once before, well, you know. So is there any chance she might be able to fly with me if I kept it low? Maybe if I were to get her a full mask instead of the cannula? Most importantly, what info do I need to provide her physician about the relative rates / means of delivery of a mask vs. the cannula she usually uses?

Just an idea I have, but it sure would be a nice thing to be able to do. Or am I nuts? Thanks in advance!

Check to see if the puffer thing is an oxygen concentrator (enrichment device). They have a really tough time about 4,000 feet and don't keep up. If you have a pulse oximeter or can borrow one, the target is 90%.

Otherwise, borrow a real portable oxygen system and run it at about 2 liters/minute (no more, sometimes with chronic lung disease oxygen drive is all that keeps you breathing- too much and you just STOP breathing, Baaaaddd). That's about as good as those generators can do AT SEA LEVEL.

And show her a GOOD time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back