Passenger Briefing

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I was thinking a little bit today about what I would include in a passenger briefing once I have my certificate and was curious to hear what others on this board include in such a briefing.

...what do you discuss in a typical passenger briefing?

Let the responses begin!

Thanks,
Jason

Well Jason most of my Pax. are Young Eagles,so i tell them my Name,and that we will be flying at **** alt. The flight will take about 15 to 30 Mins. depending on what course we are using.And if they have any questions just ask. Then i tell them what i'm doing , taxing,runup, Etc. they seem to like this. i should say i have never had a complaint. hope this is what your looking for.
Dave G

I show them how to fasten/unfasten the seatbelt and how to open the door.

For first time passengers I try to give them an idea of what will be happening shortly after takeoff. I explain to them the airplane has to bank to turn and that I will be reducing the power at some point after takeoff so the RPM reduction doesn't startle them. I also explain that it's OK if they bump the controls. A lot of people are intimidated by the fact that there are controls on their side, and they're afraid that if they bump the yoke or the rudder pedals, that the aircraft will go out of control.

Make sure to tell them if they need to exit the aircraft during an emergency to walk to the back of the plane after getting out incase the prop is still running.

Has anyone considered a PIC should be providing their passengers with information on safety issues? Such as... how the safety belt operates (fastens and releases), insuring their seats are adjusted and locked, in the event of an unexpected landing either on a runway or off-airport... how to exit the aircraft and when (After engine is stopped, rear seats exit first then front, traverse away and behind the aircraft), how to cushion themselves in an expected rough landing? While some may think these are just for the airlines, you'll find this far from the truth should you go for a commercial license. They wouldn't hurt in setting the pace during a PPL checkride as well.

All the other ideas are "nice-to-know" items but these are a PIC responsibility. When you do them, you'll instill confidence as a "professional pilot" they can rely on.

Brook... good deal! You had posted that in the middle of my walking away for a phone call and yet to have posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I include items that Ken mentions above. Additionally, what to expect (how, what, where & etc.), headset use, when conversations needs to be keep to a minimum (sterile cockpit) and where the sic-sacs are located. Finally, I offer a $1 reward for each aircraft sighted that I don't call first. Kids love that one.

I explain the pre-flight & run-up as they happen. Sometimes, I let my pax use the checklist as I walk through things depends on the situation. When flying with another pilot, things get more abreviated but I do like to go through the egress procedures, what we'll do if the engine quits on take-off and cockpit management regardless.

Sit down, buckle up, shut up, don't touch anything and enjoy the ride.

Seriously just basic saftey stuff and when I need sterile cockpit.

My wife won't even let me get started anymore. She's heard it from me before. Now, if I could just get the airlines trained. :D Especially flights in the far east where the briefing comes at you in three different languages. :D :D

for discovery rides i make sure they know how to use seatbelts and most importantly how to release belts and open doors. Silver handles UP in 172s. Also I let them know that liquids of more than 3 ounces are more than welcome and that their baggage will be meeting them on the ground upon arrival. I used to be very careful about explaining every little thing I was doing but realized that a lot of people dont care. I do keep a close eye on body language and facial expression and if they look concerned or worried, I quickly explain what I am doing.

I put together a passenger briefing that I send them out before we fly. Much like an airline safety card, it covers what will happen with a flight, as well as hitting the mandatory safety items (smoking, exits, belts). I've attached a copy - if anyone wants any of the source text or images just send me a PM.

When we go fly I remind them about the danger zone in the front of the airplane, how to work the belts and the doors, and then talk a bit about the flight. I invite pax over 5 years old to accompany me on on the preflight as well.

Attachments

• portrait brochure.pdf
    125.5 KB · Views: 97
I'll go from top to bottom, explaining the intercom and how everyone will hear whatever they're saying if they are talking when I hit the PTT switch, the different stages of flight, and what to do if there's an emergency (including how to handle things if I should become incapacitated for any reason). I also mention that there is no such thing as a stupid question and if they see something that they think is out of the ordinary or if they see another aircraft, I want them to bring it to my attention. Even if I say "Yep, already saw it", I still want them to notify me, because there may be an instance where they caught it before I did. I wrap it up with reminding them that while the safety speech is required and I want them to remember what I say, the important thing is for them to enjoy themselves.

Excellent briefing card, Tim!

actually jason, i think your briefing should start on the phone, when you are asking the passenger to give you a ride to the airport! :rofl:

I think it was Toby Speed who put together an excellent briefing. Is she still around the red board? Haven't seen her here in ages.

I do all of the required stuff (seat belts, doors, etc.) and throw some humor in to help them relax a bit (This is a no-smoking flight, don't tamper with the lavatory smoke detector, etc...).

I also tell them what I'm doing, carefully choosing words to make sure they're not nervous. I think that's a big problem with some pilots taking newbies up, is they'll say things that are well-intentioned and designed to reassure them but have the exact opposite effect...

For example, I took a friend of mine (his 2nd time) and his daughter (her first). Friend had been with me on the flight that had by far the worst turbulence I've ever encountered, and he was a bit nervous. He turned around and explained to his daughter, "There might be some bumps when we get up in the air, but they're really not dangerous" or something like that. I clicked the Crew button in and said "Dude... Don't even say dangerous at all, even with 'not' in front of it. I know you're nervous, but you're making her more nervous!"

So, for example: Don't say "Well, the most likely time for the engine to fail is right after takeoff, so we're gonna run the engine up here and do some checks..." Instead, say "Okay, we're going to do a few things here before takeoff to ensure that everything is running normally."

Don't say "We did lots of engine failure training, it's no big deal." Instead, if they ask, tell them "Well, in the very rare case of an engine failure, the airplane will simply turn into a glider. I've practiced this and many other emergency scenarios to attempt to ensure a safe outcome no matter what happens."

Lots of other potential examples. Choose your words carefully.

One other thing I add into my briefing: "We're not stuck like we would be on an airliner - If at any time you're not enjoying yourself, just let me know and we'll come straight back to the airport." Giving them this sense of control helps. I also try to keep the first flight short enough so they never have a chance to get nervous. Generally, first flights consist of a quick city tour - Capitol, Monona Terrace, campus and stadium, their house, and back to the field. Leave 'em wanting more rather than getting over the high and getting sick/bored/whatever.

Lots of other potential examples. Choose your words carefully.

So pointing to the mixture control and saying if they touch it we'll all die isn't the best way to explain things?

I guess I should also toss out my warning about explosive decompression if they open the window in flight...

I also explain that when the airplane is turning, it tilts to one side. This is a great time to take a look down at the people on the ground.

The more I think about it the more it seems I have two speeches, one for those whom have flown with me before and the ones it's their first time. I'm especially attentive when it's the very first time in a "small plane". People love to see their house/school/business from the air. 1st timers, like Kent, I keep short and sweet. I've taken to calling them "Circus Rides".

First class briefing card, Tim. Thanks. You even have the Mooney door opening picture, so I don't have to change a thing.

Fantastic briefing card Tim. Do you mind if I plagerize?

Also, after having several passengers nervously point to the transponder's light and ask if "the flashing light is a warning of some kind" I now advise all new passengers that the flashing light is good because its telling us we are on someone's radar screen.

Here's my passenger briefing checklist. It's terse since I'm the only customer. Unlike the rest of the airplane's checklists I carry this one around in my flight bag as the briefing starts in the parking lot.

PASSENGER BRIEFING

Before Entering Ramp:
Safe places to walk & congregate
Watch out for taxiing aircraft, propellers
Avoiding an airplane's blind spot
What to touch, not to touch on aircraft
No misconduct allowed
Dog on a leash
Rest room stop

Baggage Check:
Weights
Packages/containers under pressure
Firearms
Spillable liquids
Hazardous Materials

Nearing the Aircraft:
How to get into and exit aircraft
Locations acceptable/ unacceptable for stepping
Location and operation of exits, emergency equipment
Location of airsick bags

Seated Inside Aircraft:
Seat Adjustment
Belts - Adjustment & Removal; Required use
Door Operation; Emergency Landing & Exit
Describe Controls & Instruments
Lights, sounds to disregard
Control Clearance
Silence for ATC; Sterile cockpit period
Signal for silence
How to assist with charts, spot other traffic.
Headset & Intercom Adjustment
Use and operation of supplemental oxygen

I'd like to join the chorus of applause for Tim's briefing. Well done!

Regards,
Joe

After scaring the crap outta my cousin on a flight with an instructor when I was a student pilot, I now explain that the marker may go off on departure. Nothing like climbing to 100 feet or so, nervous, and hearing "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP."

I think he almost needed new pants.

edit: To beter explain, it was the inner marker, not the middle marker. Sounded like a 'master alarm' to him.

Last edited:
There were a number of safety cards loaded up on the red board. You might find them by searching. Toby had one of the more creative ones.
You could also go to Dauntless Software. They have a number of freebies there you might find interesting.

After scaring the crap outta my cousin on a flight with an instructor when I was a student pilot, I now explain that the marker may go off on departure. Nothing like climbing to 100 feet or so, nervous, and hearing "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP."

I think he almost needed new pants.

edit: To beter explain, it was the inner marker, not the middle marker. Sounded like a 'master alarm' to him.

Hahaha.. That happened to me and my wife this weekend. Popped out of the clouds at 1200' on the ILS in the dark. Everything is going smooth. Needles are centered and then suddenly "BEEP BEEP BEEP" and a light flashing on the panel. Her head turned toward me and her eyes were as big as silver dollars. I said "That's just there to tell me how far away from the runway I am." Fun times.

I had a student come back from a cross country once. They had flown near an airport with an ILS. their only comment was that "I was flying along and all the sudden i heard this beeping and then it went away after a while" Kinda freaked them out. I just chuckled and explained the marker beacon.

I had a student come back from a cross country once. They had flown near an airport with an ILS. their only comment was that "I was flying along and all the sudden i heard this beeping and then it went away after a while" Kinda freaked them out. I just chuckled and explained the marker beacon.

That happened to me...well kinda...I just didn't know how to turn it off. Talk about annoying. I wasn't scared...just annoyed.

Mine pretty much consists of...

Seatbelt comes off like this. Door opens like this. Run backwards not forward.

That's about it. I try to look at the person every few minutes, It's easy to tell if they are getting upset. I generally explain everything I do and make very gentle slow turns. Followed by a "you are going to hear a buzz noise in a few seconds. It's normal" in the landing phase right before flare. If I'm in the Diamond I will mention that it may buzz on takeoff which is also normal. The Diamond also generates some interesting harmonics on climbout when you retract flaps which is worth mentioning.

I would add something about heating & cooling in the cockpit. If you don't mention anything about it, people might think it's not controllable. I'm surprised how many people think that small airplanes have no heaters. Also they may not realize you can open vents for cooling. Mention that you can adjust the temperature if needed and let them know not to be afraid to speak up. It's one step in preventing the use of motion sickness bags.

Hahaha.. That happened to me and my wife this weekend. Popped out of the clouds at 1200' on the ILS in the dark. Everything is going smooth. Needles are centered and then suddenly "BEEP BEEP BEEP" and a light flashing on the panel. Her head turned toward me and her eyes were as big as silver dollars. I said "That's just there to tell me how far away from the runway I am." Fun times.

In similar situations, I much prefer the "Damn, it's the unknown causes-master alarm!" for at least a brief period of time. Those moments are just too good to waste.

In similar situations, I much prefer the "Damn, it's the unknown causes-master alarm!" for at least a brief period of time. Those moments are just too good to waste.

Well, we also have a large red light that lights up if any of the engine readings fall out of our set limits. Rachel noticed it on the way home (wasn't flashing, just noticed a big red light). I told her it is like the 'check engine' light on a car, but we actually pay attention to the one in the plane. :)

I do like telling riders that the buttons on the stick are for missles, canon, and the all-important "EJECT" button. Every once in a while, I get a very blank stare before they realize I'm just kidding.

The best one, though, is telling people unfamiliar with crop dusters that the small prop mounted on the belly of the plane (air driven water pump for spraying) is actually a 'booster engine' that they use to get off the ground with very heavy loads. Even the 'intelligent' ones fall for that one every time.

-Chris

Last edited:
chris, dont you have to tell them something like

"this aircraft does not meet federal regulations for certification of aircraft, it exceeds them"

:)

this reminds me of when I was a kid. I would always ask my dad what the button in the glove box was for. He told me it was the self destruct button and not to push it or the engine would blow up. So I didnt. One day driving with my grandma I asked her and she told me it popped the trunk. So I pushed it. and boy oh boy did grandma get mad. Almost as mad as when I opened the passenger door while cruising down a gravel road without a seatbelt on. Im lucky I lived through childhood.

I echo Tony's and Jesse's replies, I don't have a very extensive briefing. Ottumwa Flying Service does a big Father's Day plane ride deal, something like $15/person for a 20 minute ride over the town. I think I did 30-40 rides that day. Whats better is that sometimes the passenger door would pop "open" right at rotation, scaring the crap out of whoever was sitting there. The first time I mentioned this in my briefing, I said the door might pop open during takeoff. As soon as it came out of my mouth I knew I had some more explaining to do. After that, I said that the door might make a popping noise during takeoff, and that its normal for that to happen.

chris, dont you have to tell them something like

"this aircraft does not meet federal regulations for certification of aircraft, it exceeds them"

Yup! :yes: :D

That's 1/2 of the briefing. The second half includes: "Sit down. Shut up. Hold on."

I think the only problems I've had with passengers is either they're talking while I'm trying to talk to tower or they yell when I flair and the stall horn goes off. My first passenger scared me a little doing that. So I've come to include that in my breifing. Another thing could include, never grab the yoke unless instructed (if I'm unconscious theres an acception) and if I know we're gonna crash, put your arms in front of your face (passengers of course). Although I would leave out "bend over and kiss your butt goodbuy." haha Thankfully I've only had doors pop open when its just me and another pilot, scares me still for a second until you remember its no big deal in the cessnas.

I am curious though for those instructor types. What do you guys do when your in spins/unusual attitudes, etc and your passengers freeze up and wont let go of the yoke? I'm pretty small so its not like I have a ton of strength.

Last edited:
Depending on who is right seat, I look forward to the debriefing! :D

I am curious though for those instructor types. What do you guys do when your in spins/unusual attitudes, etc and your passengers freeze up and wont let go of the yoke? I'm pretty small so its not like I have a ton of strength.
I have heard that if you reach up and cover their eyes they will instinctively let go in order to move your hands away. I've never had to do this, however, so I can't say if it works or not. Seems like a plausible theory though. :dunno:

Most people seem more than willing to let go when they feel things getting out of hand, as least from what I've experienced.

i havent had a student freeze up yet. ive heard of the covering the eyes thing. Tickling might work. Or hitting.

I haven't had a passenger yet, but if it's someone I've never met before and want to be introduced to the world of flying. I would let them walk around the aircraft with me, I'll explain every part of the bird, what each part does and why we're checking it. I would basically read and explain the checklist out loud during the whole flight. I'd even fly out to the practice area and let them take the controls for awhile.

Now if it's someone I know, and they know me, I would have fun with them.

I would add something about heating & cooling in the cockpit. If you don't mention anything about it, people might think it's not controllable. I'm surprised how many people think that small airplanes have no heaters. Also they may not realize you can open vents for cooling. Mention that you can adjust the temperature if needed and let them know not to be afraid to speak up. It's one step in preventing the use of motion sickness bags.

Yep, my daughter (13 yo at the time) was flying with me for her first time. She was in the back seat and I kept talking to her to make sure she was doing ok. She was having a good time and didn't have anything to add to the conversation, so she just kept quiet unless spoken to.

After we landed, I tried to get something out of her so I asked her what she thought of the flight. "Fun, but I got cold". I reached back and realized the overhead vent (172) was wide open (and it was a cold day!). I closed it for her and she did the 'dope slap' on her forehead for not saying something about it. I felt bad for not being more up-front about it being OK for her to speak up.

Back