Passed Private ASEL Checkride

OzPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OzPilot
Finished it today out from Wings (KLOM). Tom Callahan was great.

So after speaking with the FSDO, I will now have the full Australian license, the FAA license based on foreign privs and a new cert number for the unrestricted license I just passed.

Time for instrument work, however I think I will complete the multi beforehand.

(If I am correct, the multi before the instrument, would give me a multi instrument even if I did the ride in a single).

Thoughts on this approach?
(I'd be doing it for fun/ratings, not for work)

Last edited:
Congratulations. Was that the full Private checkride (the same as a US initial private checkride)?

Cheers

Congratulations. Was that the full Private checkride (the same as a US initial private checkride)?

Yes. Full checkride with oral. Written completed as well as a CFI sign-off. (and meeting recency and log requirements)

Only way to do it to convert to a full unrestricted.

Congrats!

Incorrect though. If you do your instrument rating checkride in a single engine plane and you already have multi engine ratings, you will be restricted to VFR only on the multi engine class.

You would have to do the instrument rating checkride in a single, and demonstrate a few things in a twin, or do the entire instrument rating checkride in a twin to have priveleges in both.

This is from the General Aviation Inspector's Handbook, FAAO 8700.1.

I. Satisfactory Performance. Issue FAA Form 8060-4, Temporary Airman
Certificate, including all of the applicant's previous ratings and the
appropriate instrument rating to the applicant.
(1) Prepare the certificate in duplicate as per Volume 2, Chapter 1,
Section 5 of this Handbook (Figure 8-2).
(2) Indicate the appropriate instrument rating on the certificate:
(a) INSTRUMENT - HELICOPTER for applicants who have met the requirements
in a helicopter
(b) INSTRUMENT - AIRPLANE for applicants who met the requirements in an
airplane
(3) If an instrument rating is added to a certificate using a single
engine airplane, and the applicant has a multiengine rating (land or sea),
enter a VFR limitation for those multiengine privileges."

Last edited:
(b) INSTRUMENT - AIRPLANE for applicants who met the requirements in an
airplane
(3) If an instrument rating is added to a certificate using a single
engine airplane, and the applicant has a multiengine rating (land or sea),
enter a VFR limitation for those multiengine privileges."

Thanks!, Clears that right up for me.

okay, so I will start single instrument (and to be honest, a single will be most of my flying anyway).

In the interim, I'll probably finish off my tailwheel endorsement once and for all.

I only knew that, because I did multi-engine first. My pilot certificate says:
"Holder does not meet instrument flight requirements of ICAO".

Although, I dont have an instrument rating. I would have to do what i mentioned above to have that removed.

There are very few spots to get the tailwheel in the area, but I highly recommend it. I did mine with a Private instructor who uses a Citabria at KLOM and had a blast. Nothing like tailwheel flying early in the morning.

You can also do acro / spin training / unusual attitude recovery with him if you get inclined to. I did the spin training,... FUN FUN FUN!

PM me if you need his info or maybe we'll bump into one another sometime at Wings.

There are very few spots to get the tailwheel in the area, but I highly recommend it. I did mine with a Private instructor who uses a Citabria at KLOM and had a blast. Nothing like tailwheel flying early in the morning.

You can also do acro / spin training / unusual attitude recovery with him if you get inclined to. I did the spin training,... FUN FUN FUN!

PM me if you need his info or maybe we'll bump into one another sometime at Wings.

Hi Rob, I'm actually doing it in 28C as we speak :)

Might see you at Wings on Friday.

Cheers
Geoff

Congrats!

The multi rating is very useful. If you take it before your do your instrument ride in a single, however, you will then need to do a second ride to get your multi instrument rating. Typically, I suggest doing the instrument single first and then adding on the multi.

I can help you with both, and will PM you.

Back