Passed "New" IFR Written Yesterday...some insights for those planning to take the test...

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Got a 92...not perfect, but I'm proud of this 61 year old brain. Some observations on the "new" test:

* There have been various rumors the test is undergoing major revamp due to new scenario-based PTS standards.

* From what I can tell, there's no major change yet; some think the test will change in the coming days or weeks; others are adamant it's the practical that will change.

* Test is as antiquated and irrelevant as ever. I was surprised by the number of questions that required decoding of cryptic TAF's, PIREPS, SIGMETS, AIRMETS (8 or so). The questions did not test your IFR knowledge. They tested how well you remember all the abbrevations. Why in 2016 are we wasting our time and energy on a system that was designed in the 1960's when computers (teletype) couldn't handle upper and lower case and every single number or letter cost money? Really bothers me.

* Thankfully, there were fewer complex VOR problems...the ridiculous ones that used to be on the test: "You just set your OBS's completely wrong...both backwards and at an angle. Now, where are you on the map and how many miles off course? No, you can't turn the OBS like you would in a real plane."

* There was one of those "flight time in route" questions that takes about 10-15 minutes to figure out...multiple legs, legs with bends, wind correction angles. I think mine had a mistake...maybe not. The DP put me at a named intersection that I couldn't find on the Low IFR chart no matter how long I looked. I just guessed on this one.
- Addendum...Found this very problem in the King Schools book...my bad...there was one additional complexity...after reaching STAXX, you had to fly to a transition still on the chart. This got you to a waypoint on the LA IFR chart. Still...this problem, which takes a long time to figure out, is one to miss unless you are going for a 100%!

* I wasn't sure on a couple of questions. So I read the responses carefully. Sometimes you can deduce the answer from the answer options.

* Time was ample...finished in 50 minutes. So I reworked the whole test and found 3 obvious mistakes....strongly recommend this to early finishers!

Thought I'd provide these observations for those who plane to take the test in the near future.

Last edited:
Great score! Congrats. But a new ACS-influenced test for Instrument Pilot won't appear until next week so you took the "old" one.

Great score! Congrats. But a new ACS-influenced test for Instrument Pilot won't appear until next week so you took the "old" one.
I see info on both sides of this one. Everyone knows things will change next week. But whether or not the written changes is still being debated, as the written has already been getting new questions for quite some time. My test had 61 questions (one...at a random location...was a test question and not included in my score).

Hopefully someone will post after next week to see if it really changed. I'm so glad about the rumors it was going to change...caused me to take 3 samples tests and rush in to take the real test. It's OVER and the fun begins!

Congrats. 92 is a good score.

I got a 90 on my written, which has now expired. Hoping to redo it and pull a full 100 this time. We shall see.

What's happening with the commercial written? Agreed on points stating that the IR written was hideously outdated, and I'd like to avoid repeating that headache.

* There was one of those "flight time in route" questions that takes about 10-15 minutes to figure out...multiple legs, legs with bends, wind correction angles. I think mine had a mistake...maybe not. The DP put me at a named intersection that I couldn't find on the Low IFR chart no matter how long I looked.
I hated those questions. Such a time sync and there were far better ways to test the skills involved than one giant 10 minute problem.

The test is still a bit wonky with some outright silly questions, others are just badly written.

Nice score though.

I'm not going to get through all of the writtens I'm taking before it starts to change so I'll happily report on whatever the new and improved stupidity is. LOL.

Nice to hear they've removed some of those "here's a totally jacked up VOR question from an HSI set in a way you'd never use an HSI because you'd be told by your CFI you were a retard if you did this" questions though. Hahaha.

Congratulations. I too got 92 and I thought I knew it all. Well, except for some PoH-specific questions that have no place on a generic knowledge test or for the infamous performance question (that you mentioned).

As for the "new" test, don't forget that it took the FAA a few decades to decide to update the test so it does not surprise me that they used one of the "newest and most modern" subjects as the TAFs and PIREPs fresh off the teletype. :D

Congratulations on passing, re-learn the missed questions and move on. Oh, and GO FLY! :)

* There was one of those "flight time in route" questions that takes about 10-15 minutes to figure out...multiple legs, legs with bends, wind correction angles. I think mine had a mistake...maybe not. The DP put me at a named intersection that I couldn't find on the Low IFR chart no matter how long I looked. I just guessed on this one.

I hated those questions. Such a time sync and there were far better ways to test the skills involved than one giant 10 minute problem.
I had couple of them on my CFII exam. There was a list of half a dozen or so figures to refer to for each question. I didn't even bother to look at the figures. I've got better things to do with my time so I just picked an answer at random for each.

I believe they are specifically intending to remove questions like that. Changes were supposed to take effect today, so we'll see.

I had couple of them on my CFII exam. There was a list of half a dozen or so figures to refer to for each question. I didn't even bother to look at the figures. I've got better things to do with my time so I just picked an answer at random for each.

I believe they are specifically intending to remove questions like that. Changes were supposed to take effect today, so we'll see.
Well, I think it's reasonable to expect you to know how to do that type of calculation. I'd be surprised if they removed all of them, and actually I hope they don't. But I hope they revamp them, particularly the answers. The worst thing about those questions IMO is that the answers are in many cases so close together that roundoff error can make the difference in your choice. That's a mark of poor test making.

We were talking about the new tests at my FBO yesterday. The proctor said he received 3 new test supplement manuals, meaning new tests, for PP, Commercial and CFI. Nothing for Instrument yet.

Back