Passed my PPL checkride today! 19 years in the making.

spdracer888

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
spdracer888
Passed my PPL checkride today! Two attempts and 19 years in the making.

Three MIG-21s flew over my head when I was six and pardon the cliche: but that's when I knew I want to be a pilot. (btw, I grew up overseas hence MIGs and not F-16s).

I started my first lesson in 1995 (I was a Junior in college) at Aviation Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Regrettably, graduation and a full time job took priority over finishing up my PPL: the last logbook entry was dated 4/2/97 for a total of 48.9 hours.

While cleaning out my basement last year, I found my old logbook. Though dusty, the sight of it brought back great memories. I "re"started at Nassau Flyers at KFRG last March (almost to date) and after another 48.2 hours, I passed my check ride today. It's been 19 years in the making.

I won't bore you with another check ride write up as both Owad1971 and TheHulk did an excellent job with theirs. I will however share the following:
- regardless of the flight school, you will have good and bad instructors.
- how well you "gel" with your CFI makes a world of difference.
- if you are unhappy with your CFI, speak up early because you are essentially flushing $200 down the toilet for every hour you waste with the "wrong" CFI.
- CFI do make mistakes and I have observed both "knowledge" and "practical" mistakes. If something doesn't seem right, look it up and confirm it yourself.
- some CFI doesn't have his/her interest aligned with yours. I'm grateful that none of mine are (except for one and I "fired" him after one lesson).
- regardless how hard you prepare, you are not going to have a perfect check ride. Making mistake(s) and more importantly recognizing your mistake(s) are part of the process.
- you are always more critical of yourself than your DPE.
- those plastic "SureCheck" or equivalent checklists are not legal. The only legal checklists are the ones in your POH.
- I love being a pilot.
- do sit down before you add up all your receipts.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

Interesting that it took another 48 hours, almost no benefit to the first batch of hours.

Congrats again.

Congratulations.

Interesting that it took another 48 hours, almost no benefit to the first batch of hours.

Congrats again.
How do you know that it would only take Speed Racer 50 hours to complete if he started from scratch this year with no prior instruction in the 90s? IIRC the national average has crept up to around 90 hours.

Re: Passed my PPL checkride today! Two attempts and 19 years in the making.

- regardless how hard you prepare, you are not going to have a perfect check ride. Making mistake(s) and more importantly recognizing your mistake(s) are part of the process.
Tru Dat. I'm not certain I've ever made a "perfect" flight (still trying though).

- those plastic "SureCheck" or equivalent checklists are not legal. The only legal checklists are the ones in your POH.
In most trainers there's no such thing as a "legal checklist" including the ridiculous ones found in many such POHs.

- I love being a pilot.
Congrats on passing, and the passion.

- do sit down before you add up all your receipts.
I don't think you should ever total the money spent on flying, why ruin a good thing?

Adding up receipts is poor aeronautical descision making. Congrats on wrapping things up!

Congratulations!!!!. Had mine for two weeks now, plan to still have that big smile on your face two weeks from now. Not sure when that starts to fade, don't care either LOL....

One other thing...be sure you add up the solo time logged prior to August 4th 1997 and count that as PIC time. Prior to then, solo time wasn't considered PIC time.

Adding up receipts is poor aeronautical descision making. Congrats on wrapping things up!

Ha ha. No kidding. I added up my hours after taking the wife on her first cross country yesterday and thought it was really cool that I had 100 hours (not all PIC of course). I then did a quick multiplication in my head 100 hours X rental rate of the plane = dang I need to sit down before I add what I paid my instructor.

Congratulations.

Congrats again.

How do you know that it would only take Speed Racer 50 hours to complete if he started from scratch this year with no prior instruction in the 90s? IIRC the national average has crept up to around 90 hours.

I was very close to my checkride the first time around; irrc I needed maybe another 5 hours. I won't say the first 48 hours had no benefit, but I certainly was out of practice for sure. I recall someone said that for every year you don't fly, it will take 3 hours to get yourself comfortable again. So in my case, the math is pretty accurate.

I have read several times every year you don't fly it takes an hour of dual with an instructor to have a signed off flight review. Being comfortable again might be something different.

Congrats to the OP for passing the Check Ride.

I was very close to my checkride the first time around; irrc I needed maybe another 5 hours. I won't say the first 48 hours had no benefit, but I certainly was out of practice for sure. I recall someone said that for every year you don't fly, it will take 3 hours to get yourself comfortable again. So in my case, the math is pretty accurate.

Did you re-do your dual cross country?

Did you re-do your solo cross countries?

Did you re-do your night flights?

Great!

Now don't do what I did - passed my check ride when I was 19, but then didn't fly for almost 19 years.:eek:

;)

You can do anything if you put your mind to it .
Where did I hear that ?
Congratulations ! :thumbsup:

LMAO!
We are all FRG based, if interested let's all go get $100 $200 hamburgers.

My FBO (Ventura) does a monthly flyout to some place. Next one is April 4- Call em up and let em know you wanna convoy!!!! :D:D:D:D

PM me if you are going up next weekend!

My FBO (Ventura) does a monthly flyout to some place. Next one is April 4- Call em up and let em know you wanna convoy!!!! :D:D:D:D

PM me if you are going up next weekend!

Would love to but I'm flying to Asia tomorrow for work. Obviously not in a Cessna...don't know why I felt the need to clarify...lol.

I'll catch you on the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congratulations!
You mentioned the plastic checklists versus the POH checklist. Did the DPE call your attention to this?
Keith

Yes the DPE did call to my attention on this. Luckily due to weather the flying portion was postponed to the following day and I was able to copy the POH list for the checkride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back