Passed my Instrument Checkride - Writeup

WaarrEagle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WaarrEagle
I took the oral last weekend and had to postpone the flying portion until today. The oral was pretty uneventful, but I'll note some of the questions that I had to think on:

• Which type of ice is worse? Rime or clear? I guessed rime but he said clear is actually worse because it is heavier and takes longer to melt once you get to warmer conditions.
  • Why is rime ice milky? Because air gets trapped when it freezes.
  • What exactly is required during the Instrument Proficiency Check? I ended up at the FAR which pointed to the Practical Test Standards. There is a table that lists requirements for the IPC.
  • Looking at a local SID, asked why a segment was at 4000 feet? Because OROCA for that area is 3,200.
  • Asked which instrument I would break if both static sources were not working? VSI because its not required for IFR flight.
  • Talked a bit about the heater and CO poisoning. Asked if the CO monitor was part of my scan.
The weather forecast for this morning was beautiful with light and variable winds, so I called Flight Service to check active runways. Original plan was to fly VOR-A at 60R, LPV 14 at CXO, and LOC 17R back at DWH. Unfortunately the winds kick up as we are getting in the plane and DWH switches to 35L. This throws our original plan out the window but we take off to 60R anyway. I start to enter 60R into the GPS but was told to navigate using the VOR. The moving map was also not allowed to be displayed (never got to use it). I "lose" my attitude and heading indicators en route to the VOR and did the whole circling approach without them to a touch & go. Execute the published missed which includes a hold. While I'm doing this the DPE is checking wx and we decide to head to TME for the LPV 18 approach.

I'm feeling pretty good at this point and go to enter TME into the GPS. Then I put the moving map up and got a lesson on how moving maps are not IFR certified so he pulls up the CDI screen. I have seen the screen before but ALWAYS shoot approaches with the moving map. Threw me off to say the least. ATC had given me weather but i decide to get ATIS anyway. ATIS informs us that LPV minimums are not authorized so we fall back to LNAV/VNAV. ATC asks if we want to start at the IAF or the "T" IF and I chose direct to the "T" IF waypoint. I got stuck for a moment trying to get the 430 to go to the "T" waypoint. I'm not sure I ever actually practiced it. Had to load the full approach from the IAF and then go into flight plan view and select the "T" fix and hit Direct. I fly the approach and drop to 700+ feet and fly to the missed waypoint before climbing on runway heading.

Then ask for vectors back to Hooks to shoot the LPV 35L. Still a challenge just because I am accustomed to the moving map. He also had me turn off the GPS on my iPad at this point. Fly down to minimums and did great tracking the cross until the very end but did not bust anything. Landed and taxied back for debrief.

Areas of improvement from the DPE:

• Moving map. Don't rely on it. Gotta keep up situational awareness without it. I honestly had come to rely on it a little too much. I definitely could still fly without it, but probably could have practiced more without it during training and it wouldn't have been such a challenge.
  • The 430W repeatedly flashes messages during approaches (ex. Turn 350, etc). The DPE was adamant that you view all messages and acknowledge them. I did not know this but if you get a message of "Turn 350" and then turn the OBO on NAV1 to 350, the message goes away. Who knew!
  • I was in a 1977 C172N. I always put in 10 degrees of flaps below 110 knots. I picked up this habit during my private training and it stuck with me even when i transitioned to an older 172 that does not allow for this. I got roasted pretty hard for it after my first approach and did not extend flaps until 85 knots for the remaining 2. This also threw me off because i was accustomed to descending at 90 knots with 10 degrees. Lesson learned!
Overall I'm very pleased to have passed, especially with some of the last minute changes and quirks to the ride.

Nice write up.

Our 530/430 have been programmed with the scheduler ops check so when the message starts to flash it reminds you to look for balance in the fuel tanks. Don't let it get more than 200 lbs heavier on one side.

Back