Party like it's 1234567890

GEEK ALERT! :yikes:
Apparently not geek enough. I learned two things, no, three things from that. One, January 1, 1970 was the digital equiv of the birth of Christ. Two, I missed a hell of a party Friday night. And three, it wont happen for another 293 BILLION years. I'm going to be real tired when it rolls around again.
Okay, four, there was no need for a panic at the end of the 20th century. It was, after all, just another day and not really important to UNIX.

Apparently not geek enough. I learned two things, no, three things from that. One, January 1, 1970 was the digital equiv of the birth of Christ. Two, I missed a hell of a party Friday night. And three, it wont happen for another 293 BILLION years. I'm going to be real tired when it rolls around again.
Okay, four, there was no need for a panic at the end of the 20th century. It was, after all, just another day and not really important to UNIX.
The century rollover date was important to anyone who was using two digits in a database to indicate year. UNIX or otherwise. A lot of places made the fix in code, not the database with something like this:
Code:
if ( year < 40 ) year = 2000 + year;
else year = 1900 + year;
When the next big panic hits, I'll be approaching my personal century rollover date.

Back