Party at Jay's place, March 2, 2012

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
Party at Jay's place, March 2, 2012 (+ KHYI)

The date of March 2 was tentatively announced as a replacement after the December meeting was destroyed by the hard IFR (although Mr. White was rearing, his wiser parents restrained him as I recall). So, anyone made any plans? I see Jay made no announcement and generally abandoned PoA, but we could surprise him... A case of beer would balance Arrow quite nicely, it's quite nose-heavy.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRAS

Last edited:
Way too far away but one day with more notice I will get to Texas. Have fun over there!

The Frankenkota is going to Tulsa that week. It's time to get the autopilot lined out and the folks in Tulsa are just the guys to do it. Might be able to head down that way if they get it wrapped up quickly...

(although Mr. White was rearing, his wiser parents restrained him as I recall).
In David's defense the weather was safe and perfectly manageable and within his abilities. His "go" decision was responsible. How do I know? I closely examined the weather that day and I've given him 70 hours of dual and signed off his instrument ride.

Yeah, I was somewhat facetous. Although, on that day I was going to fly to a breakfast fly-in. Everything was fogged in. I sat at the airport from 5 a.m. until 11, and found a hole into which to launch, made a small circuit and came back, and then a front came in.

P.S. Ordered Brownswille and San Antonio sectionals.

Last edited:
Jay are you still planning on this? I'm going if you are.

I have good news, and bad news.

1. C'mon down and party away! The island and the hotel will be open for business, and our courtesy cars will be available.

2. Anything organized by Mary and me is cancelled.

Why? Although all of our rooms have been redecorated with the aviation theme, we are systematically going through the hotel, one room at a time, and gutting them down to the studs. We then bring them back up, literally brand new, right down to the light switches.

I am currently in "crisis mode" with our remodeling. I've got three rooms off-line, and just 39 days before the Spring Break madness hits.

Since the last two rooms took me 80 days to finish -- and we've run into some major problems with one room -- I am in round-the-clock mode. If we don't have those three rooms on-line by Spring Break -- which is right after this scheduled fly-in -- we stand to lose our ass, big time.

SO...come party, enjoy each other's company, the pool and hot tub, shoot a round of golf, maybe do some charter fishing -- but unless you're good with sheet rock, or you feel like laying ceramic tile, you probably won't see much of me. :mad2:

That said, there will be plenty of opportunities for fun and relaxation for y'all. That is what this island is FOR! :D

It's too late for me to cancel. Too much is thrown at it. Not in a monetary way, I mean sectionals are pretty cheap. But I made plans. I even borrowed a life jacket, due to KRAS being on an island.

It's too late for me to cancel. Too much is thrown at it. Not in a monetary way, I mean sectionals are pretty cheap. But I made plans. I even borrowed a life jacket, due to KRAS being on an island.

Well, Pete -- you've just become the organizer. I'll provide the party platform -- you provide the partiers! :D

Spread the word far and wide -- just don't plan on seeing much of me, dammit.

Well, Pete -- you've just become the organizer. I'll provide the party platform -- you provide the partiers! :D

Spread the word far and wide -- just don't plan on seeing much of me, dammit.

Bring Shiner Bock, your odds improve... :rolleyes:

I just found out from Mooney Ambassadors that there's going to be a fly-in at San Marcos (KHYI) on Saturday, March 3. I'm going to drop by on the way back. The deviation is about 7%, just need to go around San Antonio on the other side.

You do realize you're onky about 5 miles over water on the flight unless you take the long way around.

I just found out from Mooney Ambassadors that there's going to be a fly-in at San Marcos (KHYI) on Saturday, March 3. I'm going to drop by on the way back. The deviation is about 7%, just need to go around San Antonio on the other side.
Or through... It's not THAT bad.

Ryan

Well, that was fun. Flew VFR into IMC for starters, then could not land with enormous crosswinds, then could not take off because of the same. Breathed the free air of Texas, listened to hazing of Chinese students at Hondo (but did not stop there). AAR in 3 parts:
http://zaitcev.mee.nu/flying_to_kras_in_2012
http://zaitcev.mee.nu/flying_from_kras_in_2012
http://zaitcev.mee.nu/flying_the_little_lsa_that_could
Cool. Looks like you had a little adventure! But what we really want to know is if Jay put you to work hanging drywall. :)

Cool. Looks like you had a little adventure! But what we really want to know is if Jay put you to work hanging drywall. :)

Pete did actually offer to help, but luckily for him he arrived late in the day. By then the tools were put away, and I was able to break away from remodeling long enough to show him my hangar (I did get him to help me unload the truck!), give him a quick drive down the beach, and drop him off at a local restaurant.

Sadly, that was the extent of our time together. From there I went to work the front desk, and our paths never crossed again. He left the next morning, before I was up.

I wish things had worked out otherwise, but we needed every minute to get everything done. Today I finished hanging the artwork, and installing all-new appliances, beds, etc., into the new Floatplane and Constellation rooms. Tomorrow we will do a thorough cleaning, touch-up painting, etc. -- and then the rooms are rented for Spring Break, which starts Friday. It was THAT close.

We literally had NO time to spare on this project, or I would have done the whole fly-in thing in a heartbeat.

Back