Parts warranty difficulties

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
In troubleshooting a garage door opener motor I determined the problem was the motherboard. I called the mfg to order a new board. They advised they have a life time warranty on parts. I said cool, send me the board. They said they need proof of ownership of residence prior to installation of motor.

The mfg listed acceptable proof; original work order or sales receipt from time of installation or form HUD-1. The work order or receipt no longer exists. This home was purchased in the 1970s and mom is up in years so you can imagine the difficulty and even the improbability in producing form HUD-1. I advised the mfg of this difficulty. They replied that they would accept a duplicate copy from the title company. That company no longer exists.

Where this is now is I proposed to offer a Grant Deed which precedes the date of motor installation. If that is not acceptable I asked they treat this as a purchase order for the motherboard.

I've not before had such difficulty in complying with proof of ownership for warranty.

Back