Partnership topic Again

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
Has anyone walked up to an airplane owner and offered to partner into their airplane? Does this sound weird? I think I would have to get to know the owner first before working out such an arrangement.

Has anyone walked up to an airplane owner and offered to partner into their airplane? Does this sound weird? I think I would have to get to know the owner first before working out such an arrangement.

I have not, although I have had a couple of folks approach me and ask if I wanted a partner in the Baron. I politely told them I wasn't interested.

I've had someone do this on CTAF while I was banging out some pattern work!

Which is particularly shocking, as I was working on wheel landings. Which I suck at, having only 20 highly-infrequent hours in tailwheel. So this pilot saw me screwing up one landing after another in a Citabria and decided that I'd be a great choice for a partnership in a 182. Go figure.

I was also searching for a polite way to shut down a conversation that just shouldn't be on frequency. I finally just stopped responding at all. How do you guys handle that?

I was also searching for a polite way to shut down a conversation that just shouldn't be on frequency. I finally just stopped responding at all. How do you guys handle that?

That is a pet peeve of mine, nothing more frustrating while trying to announce your position/intentions in the pattern while other people have lengthy discussions about what restaurant they just ate at.

Never had that problem,most requests are usually posted on the FBO bulletin boards.

I don't think it's weird and creepy, depending on the approach. I prefer to just 'spread the word' during conversations with folks at the field. the bulletin board is another good option if you want to seem less creepy.

I've had someone do this on CTAF while I was banging out some pattern work!

Which is particularly shocking, as I was working on wheel landings. Which I suck at, having only 20 highly-infrequent hours in tailwheel. So this pilot saw me screwing up one landing after another in a Citabria and decided that I'd be a great choice for a partnership in a 182. Go figure.

"I'll be down in xx minutes, let's talk about this then." Or just depart.

I've had a friend of mine ask once, I wasn't looking for a partner in the plane, but I appreciated the offer, no harm in asking, after all you never know :dunno:

HI THERE. CAN WE GO HALFSIES ON YOUR PLANE?

article-2408778-1B95B51C000005DC-103_634x449.jpg

nah, not weird at all.

I've always found it a bit amusing when people are bold enough to ask. Nearly every person who has approached me about a partnership can in no way financially afford to own and operate an airplane so remind me again why I would be motivated to let you use my airplane for free?

The reason I asked because a Partnership seems to hard to come by in my Area. Maybe I will post at the FBO Resturant bulletin board.
Are you saying that for the whole Phoenix area or just the west side?

I'd say the bulletin board of surrounding airports would be a good place to start.

Are you saying that for the whole Phoenix area or just the west side?

I'd say the bulletin board of surrounding airports would be a good place to start.

East Side. More specifically KCHD and KFFZ. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Glad I don't fly out of Deer Valley. That place is a zoo.

I'd want to know the other person before asking. The "creepy" might just be them. I'd start with talking to them about the weather first. :)

My Partnership checklist:

Do I want to share my dirtbike/motorcycle? No
Do I want to share my vehicles? No
Do I want to share my property? No
Do I want to share my Wife? No

Than why in the heck would I want to share my airplane??
I want full control of maintenance, upgrades, and schedule. I don't wait for things to break on my stuff. I could see this being the biggest issue in a partnership if it's iffy replace or fix it. Don't want to spend money take up needle point.

My Partnership checklist:

Do I want to share my dirtbike/motorcycle? No
Do I want to share my vehicles? No
Do I want to share my property? No
Do I want to share my Wife? No

Than why in the heck would I want to share my airplane??
I want full control of maintenance, upgrades, and schedule. I don't wait for things to break on my stuff. I could see this being the biggest issue in a partnership if it's iffy replace or fix it. Don't want to spend money take up needle point.

Tough crowd here. For me and a lot of other people a partnership is the only way to gain access to a better plane than a simple trainer. Although it has only been 6 months, my partnership has allowed me to fly a better plane on more trips than ever would be possible if I rented

Not to mention the fact that unlike my car, house, or wife I use my plane maybe 4-5 times on a good month. It makes since to share a resource that otherwise would go so underutilized

To the op... Just keep looking..everywhere- POA, friends, bulletin boards, trade a plane, etc. you will find one that works for you!

Has a guy walked up to you and asked to share your wife? Like the relationship between a man and his wife, it takes a good amount of trust and beers first before he shares his plane...

Has a guy walked up to you and asked to share your wife? Like the relationship between a man and his wife, it takes a good amount of trust and beers first before he shares his plane...

Well, at least one guy here says he uses her at least 4-5 times a month... :)

You do understand that a plane is a thing, right ?

I have never had a beer with my airplane partners. We get together at the FBO for a business meeting once a year and maybe we run into each other at the hangar.

You do understand that a plane is a thing, right ?

I have never had a beer with my airplane partners. We get together at the FBO for a business meeting once a year and maybe we run into each other at the hangar.

Wow. Boring. Fine, but boring.

My co-owners and I schedule "Safety Meetings" at the bar. ;)

Last time, we didn't have anything particularly pressing to decide about the airplane, so we talked about guns. Mostly because one of the sales guys we know from the gun club joined us. Interesting to get the opinions of the guy who makes a living doing it, while away from his bosses and "the office".

We usually have dinner first and decide all the important stuff about the airplane before we imbibe much, if at all, and many times one or more of us can't have a beer for whatever reasons, so we don't really care about the adult beverages....

But I can't imagine having co-owners I didn't get along with socially. If I wanted that, I'd just buy something and shove it in a leaseback at some school and run it as a business.

We also invite each other over for dinners and holiday parties and what not. I even crashed one of their drones into a tall tree and we had to go get a big painter pole to get it down.

Methinks you need some co-owners that are much more fun. :) But it's okay if they aren't I guess.

I've aked owners before if they had ever considered a partner. I don't just walk up and say "wanna partner." The conversation usually starts like just about any at an airport. Nice plane, nice day, etc.

Bulletin boards indeed seem to be the best option, if you don’t already know people who might be willing to share their plane with you.

I however feel that finding a good partner is harder than it sounds. While there are certainly some exceptions, particularly in areas in which renting or clubs are no viable options, I feel that quite a few of those who are seeking partnerships are people who are actually nowhere close to being able to afford planes themselves. Or people who can’t afford to rent a 152, but who are seriously convinced that a partnership with one or two other pilots will allow them to fly a fancy plane for significantly lower costs than the $89 the local flight school charges for their ‘uncool’ 152.

It is not unheard of that partnerships came to a sudden end when the engine needed an overhaul, while the partners were unable to come up with the necessary funds. Topics like whether to upgrade the avionics, paint or glass or how to care for the plane in general also seem to be good reasons for heated discussions, particularly if some of the partners are hard-pressed for money. One might, for example, want to replace the failed transponder with a new ADS-B out compliant one, whereas the other partners just want to get a used one.

Personally, I also wouldn’t feel comfortable about buying a plane in a partnership, which I couldn’t afford alone, in case things start going sideways with the partners.

My wife and I are cheap and therefore initially thought about looking for a partner for our plane. We completely dropped this idea, for the reasons above.

Perhaps its a topic that can use a healthy serving of "How To Win Friends and Influence People".

You should probably never ask someone directly if they are selling. Even if they were, they might (as here) be put off by the direct suggestion (e.g., "Do I LOOK like I can't afford my plane?!?"). Instead, say you're interested in a partnership, either joining an existing one or forming a new one. Have an idea of what kind of plane -- Don't make is precisely that person's model; only roughly comparable in capability. Then the pitch: Do they know anyone who might be interested? Odds are he won't bite just then; even if he has thought about taking on a partner. Maybe he'll get back to you. If he sees the other pilot at the airport more than once, its somewhat more likely (See, 7 touches to make a sale).

Bulletin boards indeed seem to be the best option, if you don’t already know people who might be willing to share their plane with you.

I however feel that finding a good partner is harder than it sounds. While there are certainly some exceptions, particularly in areas in which renting or clubs are no viable options, I feel that quite a few of those who are seeking partnerships are people who are actually nowhere close to being able to afford planes themselves. Or people who can’t afford to rent a 152, but who are seriously convinced that a partnership with one or two other pilots will allow them to fly a fancy plane for significantly lower costs than the $89 the local flight school charges for their ‘uncool’ 152.

It is not unheard of that partnerships came to a sudden end when the engine needed an overhaul, while the partners were unable to come up with the necessary funds. Topics like whether to upgrade the avionics, paint or glass or how to care for the plane in general also seem to be good reasons for heated discussions, particularly if some of the partners are hard-pressed for money. One might, for example, want to replace the failed transponder with a new ADS-B out compliant one, whereas the other partners just want to get a used one.

Personally, I also wouldn’t feel comfortable about buying a plane in a partnership, which I couldn’t afford alone, in case things start going sideways with the partners.

My wife and I are cheap and therefore initially thought about looking for a partner for our plane. We completely dropped this idea, for the reasons above.

That pretty much sums up my experience and sentiments on this topic.

A few years back I bought a Bonanza. I don't think I had gotten the plane shut down and put in the hangar for 5 minutes after ferrying it home when the inquiries about partnering or renting out the plane started. Every single person that asked was either too poor or too cheap to own an airplane yet they all somehow thought I'd say yes. I'm not interested in subsidizing someone else's fun and risk having them break my airplane and never hear about it until I go out to fly and the problem is obvious. Those guys can continue to rent or not fly at all.

Share my wife hum. I think more interested is wife swapping. Just kidding. To me it seems more economical to share the aircraft ownership costs with a few
Trusting individuals.

Back