Partnership Alternative

http://www.leesburgflorida.gov/index.aspx?page=1218

$250 per month here for a Condo Hangar which is quite a bit nicer than a T-hangar...that's where I got the $200 number from. But, the OPs numbers are still out of whack.

Instead of spending $200,000 on a DA40, spend $80,000 on a decent C182 and recalculate your real costs.

As others have said, $5,000 per year is quite high for insurance.

$250 per month here for a Condo Hangar which is quite a bit nicer than a T-hangar...that's where I got the $200 number from. But, the OPs numbers are still out of whack.

Instead of spending $200,000 on a DA40, spend $80,000 on a decent C182 and recalculate your real costs.

All my numbers are based on real experience from DA40 owners/pilots. I have listed conservative numbers for MX and insurance. Also I'm not looking at a $200k DA40, I'm looking for a steam gauge DA40 for around 100-125k. 182s of similar vintage cost around the same, burn more gas, and have a yoke. Sorry but the 182 just doesn't fit my mission profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my numbers are based on real experience from DA40 owners/pilots. I have listed conservative numbers for MX and insurance. Also I'm not looking at a $200k DA40, I'm looking for a steam gauge DA40 for around 100-125k. 182s of similar vintage cost around the same, burn more gas, and have a yoke. Sorry but the 182 just doesn't fit my mission profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it makes any difference to you, 182's also have half again the payload and will fit in many hangars that a DA40 won't (be sure to check that out when pricing a hangar). And in my experience, 182s have lower maintenance costs, even when comparing an older 182 to a newer Diamond.

Around here ( metro Atlanta) , the least I've seen is $365 per month at West Paulding or Gwinnett. Closer in airports go for closer to $500 per month, if you can find one. The waiting list at PDK is something like eight years.

I don't know what tiedowns are going for, but if you leave your bird outside you should figure it will be hailed on every 5 - 10 years on the average.

All my numbers are based on real experience from DA40 owners/pilots. I have listed conservative numbers for MX and insurance.

Would you mind sharing the components of your budget ? There are people with lots of experience on this forum who can give you an idea where you are off.

Just a couple of thoughts:

- in a dry climate and with an older plane like a steam-gauge DA40, there is little downside to leaving the plane outside with a good cabin cover.

- A 5-owner policy on a 120k DA40 shouldn't cost much, you can even get insured in one as a student. Hull value drives insurance cost, 5k sounds about right for 250-300k newish plane.

- Same with maintenance, what skews the 'average numbers' given by owners are the bills run up by the factory service centers on new planes. If you look at the invoices, you will find silly charges like multiple work-hours billed for 'software maintenance' and things like routine bench-tests on autopilot servos. With a trustworthy independent mechanic, your maintenance bills shouldn't be any worse than a 172.

Back