Parting Out a Plane

JoeSelch

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JoeSelch
I've seen it suggested that many planes are worth more as parts than whole ... and it's an option I *might* consider.

So, what all is involved in parting out a plane? And how does one go about it?

I'm imaging the plane would be grossly divided into airframe, avionics/instruments, and engine - each with its own market?
I also imagine one would have to be ready and willing to sit on a pile of parts for some time to come - weeks, months, years?

If you want to sell it post it on the GG and/or AYA. You may be surprised.

I genuinely hope Liz is only asking for academic interest. The thought of two Michigan POAers selling their beloved aircraft at the same time is a bit too much.

Advertise the major components individually and see what response you get.

Anthony - I could post on GG or AYA, but I'm not a member anymore.

Bill & Michael - It might be so. But, I am shopping for a replacement.

Henning - Thanks for the idea.

you'll just have to live with the guilt for the rest of your life knowing that you deprived future generations of aviators from all the fun you had with the bird when it was in your care.

Any regulatory issues with an individual parting out an aircraft?

and on parting out cars/trucks, the welcome mat is always lit for folks who want to come visit and see how we buy messed up vehicles and feed them into our profit making machine.

Bill & Michael - It might be so. But, I am shopping for a replacement.

Replacing the Sooper Yankee? I can only hope that means you need to take a significant someone with you. Either that or you just want one less seat.

I hear tell there's a nice Comanche for sale up that way.

Liz,

There's been someone parting out a Commander 112 on eBay. Fuselage, wings, wing tips, etc. Link.

Depending on condition, demand & rarity of aircraft, you may reap nearly as much parting out as selling it as a whole. Or not.

That said, it does take time. And there will likely be some parts left over, meaning that you've either got to store 'em or find someone to take what's left.

I wouldn't be beyond considering it if there were a major issue with my plane that rendered it unflyable & too costly to repair. If I owned an experimental, it might be the only way I'd part with the plane....

You can sell the individual components just fine. Engine/prop (an experimental owner will probably go for that), interior, avionics, wings, etc. I considered doing this for the Aztec.

The problems (and the ultimate reason I decided not to) are as follows:

1) You still have to store the plane somewhere. This means that every month that you still have the plane costs you money. Let's say you're paying $100/month, that means you have to sell $100 worth of stuff every month just to keep this going.

2) Your money will be spread out over a (potentially long) time. I don't know how many Soooooooper Yooooooooper Yankees are out there, but my guess is that the demand for spares is going to be relatively low. Avionics will go quickly. Wings will go slower, and be difficult to transport. Keep in mind that you subtract your theoretical $100 from your profit every month, and that the plane will deteriorate as it sits.

3) In the end, you'll be left with a part of a plane (figure fuselage and other ancillaries) that nobody wants. So now you end up having to convince your local A&P school to take it off your hands for free, and hope that they don't try to charge you for taking it away. Obviously, this is significantly more convenient if you have an A&P school on field.

I'm not sure what's prompting you to sell the Yankee, but if it's that it doesn't fit your needs anymore, I'd try selling it. Yeah, the market is pretty bad, and thus it's great to be a buyer and bad to be a seller. But spreading it out as Mike does with his auto salvage works best when you're in a position that gives you free storage. I've parted out plenty of cars and made a bunch of money off of them. I was also set up to do this pretty well, and had "free" storage for the vehicles. In the case of the Aztec, I could probably sell the engines, props, and avionics pretty easily. Then you've got other high-ticket items like the Janitrol, windshield ice plate, and boots (by the way, boots are a real pain to remove). Those by themselves would probably get me me the same amount that I'm expecting to get for the Aztec when I sell it. Then I'm left with a fuselage to try to dump (which I could part out for more money). The whole time, I'm spending money, spending time to remove the parts. I've got enough stuff going on right now, no thanks.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Guy I knew sold his AA1C in twelve (12) minutes, listing it on AYA.

Ted - thanks for the comprehensive post. I've considered most of those issues and was wondering how fast the main parts might move (or not).

I don't love the thought of parting out a functioning plane - makes me sick, actually. But didn't want to just dismiss it out of hand.
The idea of dealing with folks haggling over every perceived flaw has dissuaded me from listing it for a couple of years. Wondered if it might not be easier to sell as parts.

Not sure that I still won't be sick when I see the potential offers on the complete plane. And a little sick again when it taxis away for the last time. (Or is that supposed to be one of the happiest days of my life?)

Steingar - no worries and no big excitement. Replacement will be a two-seater with a bit more utility and fun; what I wish I would have pursued a bunch of years ago. :)

Steingar - no worries and no big excitement. Replacement will be a two-seater with a bit more utility and fun; what I wish I would have pursued a bunch of years ago. :)

US Aviation in Denton is selling their DA20 fleet. Search Barnstormer's for the DA20's for sale and then look for US Aviation. I trained in N969PA primarily and it's a nice aircraft. Interior will be a bit "flight school worn", but that can be easily fixed.

In the Texas summer, 425# of humans and full fuel, we still out climbed the C152's that took off ahead of us. And would see 115 KIAS in cruise.

It's one to consider if if fits your budget.

Thanks for the tip - might be a great deal for somebody.
(If you hear of any Citabrias ...)

My thought here is that if you work with an mechanic to part out the plane, they can green tag the part, or declare the part serviceable and it might be easier to sell, or you could get a few extra dollars for it. Some mechanics may not sell the part if they don't know the history of the part or have any supporting documentation to go along with it. Just my thought here.

Ted - thanks for the comprehensive post. I've considered most of those issues and was wondering how fast the main parts might move (or not).

My suspicion is slow.

I don't love the thought of parting out a functioning plane - makes me sick, actually. But didn't want to just dismiss it out of hand.
The idea of dealing with folks haggling over every perceived flaw has dissuaded me from listing it for a couple of years. Wondered if it might not be easier to sell as parts.

If you want to get a lot of parts sold, definitely not.

Not sure that I still won't be sick when I see the potential offers on the complete plane. And a little sick again when it taxis away for the last time. (Or is that supposed to be one of the happiest days of my life?)

I'm sure I'll have a tinge of sadness when I see the Aztec for the last time. As far as what you get for it, it's like any other investment. Whether you invested in stocks, gold, or airplanes, markets will do what they do, and prices go accordingly. It's easily to get personally attached, but try not to. Consider enlisting the help of a broker, but you can probably do fine selling it yourself. PM me if you want any help.

I've got a few perspectives on the Aztec now. I'd be happy with either of them getting it. One of them wants to put the plane on 135 (understanding it needs work to get there), and his planes are good for it. Another one would be getting his multi rating with the plane and have it be his first twin, like me. I'll be happy with either of them getting the plane. I'd also be happy with it being bought by a scrap yard, provided I got the same amount of money out of the deal.

My thought here is that if you work with an mechanic to part out the plane, they can green tag the part, or declare the part serviceable and it might be easier to sell, or you could get a few extra dollars for it. Some mechanics may not sell the part if they don't know the history of the part or have any supporting documentation to go along with it. Just my thought here.

This idea makes parting out even less appealing. Now you've got to pay a mechanic for each part, driving up your costs. Even if you can convince people to pay more money for this extra assurance, I doubt you'll get enough money to make up for your extra costs.

It's something that only makes sense if you're set up to do. If my wife and I bought a good plot of land on which we could make a makeshift airstrip and have effectively free storage of the planes, then it could be potentially doable.

I admit to also having an emotional attachment to my plane. It means a lot to me, but in the end it is only another vehicle. You can buy another one. I know lots of guys/gals who own planes for years, then sell them. Maybe, sooner or later they buy another one.

If you want to sell it, I'd put in on the market as a flying plane, and go from there.

I admit to also having an emotional attachment to my plane. It means a lot to me, but in the end it is only another vehicle. You can buy another one. I know lots of guys/gals who own planes for years, then sell them. Maybe, sooner or later they buy another one.

Every pilot should remember that the plane is replaceable, and belongs to the insurance company.

Let's say you crashed the plane. It'd be sad, you'd take the insurance money, and buy another one. And you'd probably buy a nicer one, since most planes are insured for more than what they could realistically sell for.

Every pilot should remember that the plane is replaceable, and belongs to the insurance company.

Let's say you crashed the plane. It'd be sad, you'd take the insurance money, and buy another one. And you'd probably buy a nicer one, since most planes are insured for more than what they could realistically sell for.

(Yeah, but I didn't think it wise to start a thread for THAT! ;) )

(Yeah, but I didn't think it wise to start a thread for THAT! ;) )

Obviously I'm not advocating insurance fraud, my point is that with the wreck, nobody else gets to enjoy the fine aircraft anymore. Either way, you don't get to enjoy it.

So put it up for sale as a complete plane, you'll get what you get for it, and then buy that Citabria. :)

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is this GG and AYA people talk about?

I think selling for parts is far more difficult, especially because you have to disassemble the aircraft without damaging anything, a process that takes your time.

You do have to disentangle your emotions. Hey, if you love the plane so much, why sell it? Fact is, you don't. The buyer will try and get the most aircraft for the least money, no one can blame them for doing otherwise. The fact that its an antique with no real fixed value makes things that much more difficult.

I would just unload it before winter sets in. Gets more difficult then, I think.

Back