Participate in a study of GA pilot use of LPV mins!

Lpv10

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I am conducting research on how GA pilots are using LPV approach minimums for FAR Part 91 personal flights to complete the degree requirements for the Embry Riddle Master of Aeronautical Science program.

Instrument rated private pilots are cordially invited to participate in this study by responding to a brief survey at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LPVapproachMINS

I'd like to read your feedback in responses to this thread. Thanks for your time!

Blue skies,

Dan

Your first question is "Do you hold an instrument rating on your pilot certificate?" As an ATP, I don't, but I think you'd still want the "yes" block checked, right?

In the cases you presented, the LPV was always the best choice, although I would have some doubt as to whether or not the weather would cooperate.

As a general rule, given a choice between a LPV and an ILS, I will only choose the ILS when the minimums are lower and the weather requires that I use the lower minimums. Any time the weather permits the use of the LPV, that is what I will fly. In many cases, with LPV200, they will be the same, so I will choose the LPV. I prefer the LPV for several reasons.

1. When there is an associated TAA, transition to the approach is easier.
  2. No vectoring or PT is required in most cases, so routing to an IAF is more efficient.
  3. There is no false glideslope
  4. Traffic on or near the runway will not affect the lateral guidance.
  5. Snow won't mess up the GS.
  6. There are no frequencies to tune or miss tune.
  7. The CDI source remains the same from the IAF thru out the entire procedure.
  8. The integrity information is crystal clear.
  9. The lateral and vertical course are steadier.
  10. The missed approach procedures are simpler to follow in most cases.
  11. There are twice the number of LPV approaches than ILS approaches
  12. All WAAS approaches are monitored at the national level, thus providing more choices for planning an alternate. For example, my airport has an ILS and RNAV(GPS) approaches, the ILS is not monitored and can't be used for planning as an alternate, both the RNAV (GPS) approaches can be used.

In answering the questions I assumed that the 2000 local time was shortly before sunset. I would attempt the LPV approaches, but in the event of a missed I would go straight to a nearby alternate and wait for the higher ceilings later on (or possibly until the next morning).

Had this been in the winter, I probably wouldn't attempt those approaches to minimums in mountainous terrain in the dark. A factor in this is the lack of TAWS in my navigation system (Garmin 480).

Bad survey. Question 8 doesn't give me a non-WAAS option.
I have a GNS430

I won't be completing the survey.

Your first question is "Do you hold an instrument rating on your pilot certificate?" As an ATP, I don't, but I think you'd still want the "yes" block checked, right?

Absolutely! Poorly worded on my part due to the fact I had no idea that an ATP rating resulted in the lack of an instrument reference on the Airman Certificate. Live and learn. Thanks for your time!

Absolutely! Poorly worded on my part due to the fact I had no idea that an ATP rating resulted in the lack of an instrument reference on the Airman Certificate. Live and learn. Thanks for your time!
That's OK -- I win a beer on that bet more times than I buy one.
14 CFR 61.3 said:
(e) Instrument rating. No person may act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR flight unless that person holds:
(1) The appropriate aircraft category, class, type (if required), and instrument rating on that person's pilot certificate for any airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift being flown;
(2) An airline transport pilot certificate with the appropriate aircraft category, class, and type rating (if required) for the aircraft being flown;
(3) For a glider, a pilot certificate with a glider category rating and an airplane instrument rating; or (4) For an airship, a commercial pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air category rating and airship class rating.
BTW, you might also want to think about subparagraph (4) in case one of the Goodyear blimp pilots shows up.;)

Bad survey. Question 8 doesn't give me a non-WAAS option.
I have a GNS430

I won't be completing the survey.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it and provide feedback. I won't take it too hard since I'm not a professional researcher and the survey was designed in my "free" time.

I'll be sure to hire real psychologists to assist in survey design and analysis if I ever end up in a position to impact FAA policy or certification requirements.

John, thanks so much for your time and feedback. I can see the light at the end of this blue Air Force tunnel and I'm looking forward working in civil aviation safety. This degree program has just been one step in making the transition away from the comfort zone of command regulations of military aviation to individual pilot decision making in the "real" world. Tapping into the knowledge and experience of the GA community has really helped point me in the right direction. Thanks again for your time!

Back