Part 141 school

paul dolin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
padolin
I have a question about training at a 141 school. Im using my VA GI bill benefits to get my Commercial. They say that I am required to fly the whole profile, which includes a lot of solo time that i have already accomplished. Im afraid that i will run out of benefits before i complete all the extra flying time

Does anyone have experience with this?

A very good friend of mine did the whole PPL thing over in exactly the same situation.

Seemed ridiculous. I don’t really know if it was unique to that school or not.

Your post 911 VA benefits pay 100% of your school’s 141 syllabus requirements for flight training, ground training, and required solo. Any training that exceeds the syllabus requirements are on your dime. Most VA students are unable to cover all the training expenses with VA alone and your flight school should have explained this to you.

If you change schools, you are going to be out of pocket for a lot of your training.

Last edited:
I havent started the training yet. The school is for commercial and instrument. I would like to think that i could at least get the part 61 checkride and complete the training

You use Part 61 flight time and groundschool time toward up to 25% of a 141 course's flight and ground time requirements, respectively. 14 CFR 141.77(c)(3) and (4).

I havent started the training yet. The school is for commercial and instrument. I would like to think that i could at least get the part 61 checkride and complete the training

That thinking will leave you with your VA benefits exhausted and no new ratings.

The school is the one that told me that if I get close on money that they would give me a part 61 check. They are doing the commercial training in 3 blocks. One of the blocks is just time building for the required time. I already have the cross country time completed. I dont want to skimp on the training but I dont want to be just time building and then no commercial rating because i ran out of money

You use Part 61 flight time and groundschool time toward up to 25% of a 141 course's flight and ground time requirements, respectively. 14 CFR 141.77(c)(3) and (4).

Actually that is not exactly what the reg says.

(c) A student may be given credit towards the curriculum requirements of a course for previous training under the following conditions:

Okay, im meeting with them tomorrow, ill ask them about it. Thank you for the in-sights

Back