Parking (vs camping) plane during AirVenture

Steve Job

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Job
My partner and I live close enough to Oshkosh (central Illinois), where we would like to take our campers to Camp Scholler early, drive back home, then fly the plane there for the duration of the show. We weren't planning to pitch a tent by the plane, but would like it handy to take several flights around the area during the week.

Is this possible? Do they have airplane parking for non-campers? If we end up in the camping area, how hard is it to come and go, or is it best just to plant your plane for the duration of your stay?

Thanks!

You don't have to camp but why would you want to miss out on at least one night of holding your tent down through a thunderstorm?

You don't have to camp but why would you want to miss out on at least one night of holding your tent down through a thunderstorm?

I love it! That's a classic. Fortunately I've missed that thrill, but I'm new new to flying in. Last time I stayed in air conditioned dorms and that was nice. Waking up to a nice morning seeing the sun coming up under the plane wings is something not to be missed. The rest of that typical experience, reason, mud... I'll pass on! :yes:

Thanks! GAP = General Aviation Parking. Any idea if we can park it there all week, and what the daily rate is? It's good to know that that option exists. I guess I could also just call EAA on Monday to find out. :)

Thanks! GAP = General Aviation Parking. Any idea if we can park it there all week, and what the daily rate is? It's good to know that that option exists. I guess I could also just call EAA on Monday to find out. :)
Go to the airventure website ... All your questions will be answered. And read the NOTAM!!!

Is it possible to camp and only stay for 2 nights?
Yep. I did it last year and got the hell out before the big storm.
I think they charged me for the whole week at checkin. When you're ready to leave you checkout and they refund the balance.

Back