paralyzed left arm and want to learn fly

Vegas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vegas
Hello Everyone
I have a paralyzed left arm and want to learn fly. Skippered large boats all my life, twin engine boats to 85ft and trailer my 32 x 11.11, easily one handed. Really want to learn to fly so I can fly to my ski cabin in Big Bear. Just now looking into this, not sure if many planes can be flown one handed but sure there must be one. Are there any right arm only flyers out
Thx
ps: I in San Diego CA

Last edited:
It can be done. I met a girl years ago who had no left arm. She had to demonstrate she could hold the yoke with a prosthetic while adjusting the throttle. Not sure where you would go to get started though. I'm sure someone here will have some good advice.

First of all, welcome, and hope you enjoy POA, a lot of good stuff here. My grandson has MS and has a Honda Civic w/ the hand controls and such, as you may also. Very commendable.

We had a guy at the airport who had his own plane, Cherokee or an Arrow maybe, been awhile, and his plane had the hand controls and such, basically as you would see on a car. So it can be done. Don't know the process to get started but as has been said, someone will be along to help you out.

Good luck, look forward to hearing how it's going. Don't be a stranger, and it doesn't have to be about airplanes, as you'll see if you stick around this crazy place.

I know a few pilots who fly with a prosthetic arm, but I've only heard of one who flies with one arm...IIRC, A female pilot who flies a Cessna Caravan for work. I think I saw it as a last page in a magazine, possibly AOPA. I'm not having much luck with an Internet search, though.

Not on point, but once you get your plane, there is better skiing in Tahoe

I learned to ski in Big Bear (my Dad lives 3 miles from Snow Summit) and they have some of the worst snow around. I am about an hour from Tahoe, with a season pass.

It can be done, certainly for sport pilot and private.

May be worth contacting these guys:

www.ableflight.org

Not necessarily for a scholarship, but they can probably point you towards instructors, DPEs and engineering folks that may be of help in your quest.

Not on point, but once you get your plane, there is better skiing in Tahoe

I learned to ski in Big Bear (my Dad lives 3 miles from Snow Summit) and they have some of the worst snow around. I am about an hour from Tahoe, with a season pass.

Love Tahoe, got married there but the last 2 seasons in BB were pretty darn good but not so far this year(Tahoe always better) plus I got a second home there in BB, Tahoe is to far for driving often but not for flying, right on!

Back