Parallel Runways

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
KLNK has 18/36 and 17/35. Headings for both are 176.9/356.9. It follows that they should both be 18/36 L and R. Airports with 4 parallels do this like LAX with 24 and 25. This is the first with just 2 parallels that I've seen do this. What's the story at LNK?

KLNK has 18/36 and 17/35. Headings for both are 176.9/356.9. It follows that they should both be 18/36 L and R. Airports with 4 parallels do this like LAX with 24 and 25. This is the first with just 2 parallels that I've seen do this. What's the story at LNK?

That's certainly interesting. I have a TPP from February 1998. Eighteen years ago the long runway was 17R/35L, the short one was 17L/35R. I can't imagine what problem was solved by that correction.

That's certainly interesting. I have a TPP from February 1998. Eighteen years ago the long runway was 17R/35L, the short one was 17L/35R. I can't imagine what problem was solved by that correction.

Yeah. There was a big construction project on the big runway not long ago. Maybe around the time variation changed it from 17 to 18. Maybe they just forgot about changing the short runway. Maybe they ran outta paint. Maybe there are more airports like this. I haven't seen one yet. What's a TPP? EDIT: tpp answered, head and hand hurt from smacking self upside head

Yeah. There was a big construction project on the big runway not long ago. Maybe around the time variation changed it from 17 to 18. Maybe they just forgot about changing the short runway. Maybe they ran outta paint. Maybe there are more airports like this. I haven't seen one yet.

But they did change the short one. It used to be 17R/35L, now it's 17/35. There's more effort and paint involved in dropping the left and right indicators because all the old characters must be removed and replaced as the designations are centered on the runway ends.

But they did change the short one. It used to be 17R/35L, now it's 17/35. There's more effort and paint involved in dropping the left and right indicators because all the old characters must be removed and replaced as the designations are centered on the runway ends.

Yeah. Had to be a deliberate act. Maybe some "wrong runway" incidents in the past. But if that's the solution to that you'd think you would see it at more airports. There has to be a story somewhere on why they did it

We had a guy from the FSDO at our EAA chapter meeting a few months ago that talked about this... I don't remember the exact story, sorry. I seem to recall that they had a fair number of people try to land on the parallel taxiway thinking it was 36R. Or something similar. I haven't landed there yet, but it does seem like the first time or two it would be hard to pass up that big wide obvious runway that fairly screams "LAND HERE" and look for a little taxiway-looking thing clear on the other side of the airport. Especially from the south.

Back