Parallel Runways - Is distance between them published anywhere?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Ref . Subject, I took a look in A f/d and in airport diagrams, if it's there, I missed it.

How about the Airport Diagrams?

If not actual separation distances, the Diagrams provide the Lat/Long grid, so you can convert the grid to miles or feet and calculate separations (may have to use some trig if RNWYs aren't E-W or N-S, but shouldn't be a problem for pilots or some of the new fangled electronic gizmos to decipher)

...the Diagrams provide the Lat/Long grid, so you can convert the grid to miles or feet and calculate separations (may have to use some trig if RNWYs aren't E-W or N-S, but shouldn't be a problem for pilots or some of the new fangled electronic gizmos to decipher)

I have to say that Google Earth sounds a whole lot easier.... :). For example, at Dulles, centerline to centerline of 1L and 1C:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 130
How do you do this on google maps?

Doubt you can. You can get the lat/long of two points in Google Maps and use an online calculator to get the distance between two lat/long points.

Edit: You can use the "Draw a Line" function in Google Maps. You might have to be signed in. I am using Chrome but it worked fine for me at KTMB (3535 feet).

Last edited:
Every airport is different. Dependent on land available, width of the runways, etc.

You can do it in Google Maps by clicking My Places/Create Map/Draw Line

screenshot20130216at830.png

On airports where they're close enough to make simoultaneous operations interesting (like SFO) it's a note on the approach plate. IAD has like 6000 between 1C and 1R and as shown up there over 4000 between 1L and 1C.

You guys are missing a REALLY important simplification.

You don't have a usable Google Earth while airborne. It only works with an active internet connection. You should have the A/FD.

Airport diagrams have two intrinsic easy-to-use rulers. One is that a nautical mile is equal to one minute of latitude. The other is that the runway length is labeled and to scale, fir all the runways.

The airport's approved Airport Layout Plan is the definitive reference. However, getting your hands on one can sometimes be difficult. Some airports put them online; most do not.

Back