Parachutes - good but not perfect...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Heard about this accident a few nights ago.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130611X40901&key=1

http://www.thepampanews.com/news/article_ac8cb490-d2a7-11e2-b3de-001a4bcf6878.html
The airplane impacted the ground in a canyon and was drug for 1.7 miles before becoming entangled in a barbed wire fence.

A few possible preliminary lessons:

1. Don't run out of fuel
2. Don't count on a chute to be a good option when it's really windy out.

I personally like flying this class of aircraft at night since I've thought that pulling the chute is certainly a better sounding option than landing into a wooded area, but if it's windy out, better think twice and make sure you've weighed the options.

Ryan

I wonder what caused the injuries. If the Chute was deployed high enough I'd think they would be ok as the pax compartment looks totally intact. If they were properly restraigned I'd think they would have only had minor injuries at best.:dunno:

Yeah, I doubt you'd get hurt that bad strapped in and being drug by a chute. Only thing occurs to me is they pulled too late and hit too hard. Someone dumb enough to run out of gas at night over hostile terrain is certainly dim enough to pull that one off.

I don't want to be "that" guy. I really, really don't.
BUT ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!
"The airplane impacted the ground in a canyon and was drug for 1.7 miles before becoming entangled in a barbed wire fence. "
drug?
DRUG?
DRUG!!!!
:nono:
In an official communication, no less.
Oh, and it's too bad about the crash, also.

drug has been a colloquial past tense of drag for a long time. The queen might not say it, but it ain't wrong.

Plus in some places "dragged" implies a history of cross dressing.

I don't want to be "that" guy. I really, really don't.
BUT ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!
"The airplane impacted the ground in a canyon and was drug for 1.7 miles before becoming entangled in a barbed wire fence. "
drug?
DRUG?
DRUG!!!!
:nono:
In an official communication, no less.
Oh, and it's too bad about the crash, also.

Why is this surprising?

Jumpers get drug a ways and have much more parachute experience, they can pull a toggle and dump half of their canopy on the ground, if it's really bad they can even cut it, don't think the Cirrus has any of those features.

OK, that's it!
All of you go to your rooms and write 1000 times:
"Drug is not a verb"

Drug is a verb, I've seen skydivers and paraglider pilots drug all over the place.

1.7 miles is a long way to be pulled along the ground by an inflated parachute!:yikes:

Yeah, I doubt you'd get hurt that bad strapped in and being drug by a chute. Only thing occurs to me is they pulled too late and hit too hard. Someone dumb enough to run out of gas at night over hostile terrain is certainly dim enough to pull that one off.
I wouldn't assume the floor of the canyon was flat or obstruction-free. With the chute only acting as a sail, the people inside could have been hurt badly as they dropped off ledges or slammed into stuff. Sudden deceleration can be a *****... the restraints themselves can cause injuries under some circumstancea.

So no one ever thought to install a RELEASE mechanism for ballistic 'chutes?

So no one ever thought to install a RELEASE mechanism for ballistic 'chutes?

No because some idiot would pull it. While still aloft.

(The test aircraft did have them. There's a nifty video of a Cirrus chute deployment test where they released and the pilot flew out of the resulting straight down drop. Took an enormous amount of altitude...)

Back