Pan Am flying again??

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
I know that Pan Am still runs trains, but this week at Newark, NJ I heard a plane with passengers come in using Clipper as their call sign. It was NOT Clipper connection, but just clipper. The tower asked him to repete 3 times & on the last time the pilot said Clipper as in Pan Am. The tower guy then welcomed him to Newark & gave him taxi instructions to his gate.

????

Anyone know who it could be?

I was all the way on the other side of the airport so I couldn't see what colors he was flying.

Last edited:
Still Guilford, the wacky train guys.

See: http://www.flypanam.com/

It is, to my eye, just a hobby. 727s and Jetstreams, hitting all the major markets, including Portsmouth, Bedford, Trenton, New Haven, DC and Elmira.

If Pan Am came back, that would be Juan strange Tripp! B)

PanAm707.jpg

Eamon,

There is a "Pan Am" running again.... saw one of their ships at BWI recently. Big step down - it was (I think) a J31 twin.

Prior to that, last time I saw the old PanAm logo was on a transatlantic one of the Airbus ships that Delta inherited (just before they dumped them)... you could still see the logo on the bulkhead wall.

I believe there is a charter/cargo outfit flying out of New Hampshire that purchased the rights to use the Pan Am name and logo and the Clipper callsign. Aside from the purchase, they really have no ties to Juan Tripp's creation (great pun, iRobot!).

Here's a link that I just found...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Airways_%281998-2004%29

Apparently, I was right but this outfit folded in 2004... I'm not sure who's using "Clipper" now...

PJ, Guilford Transportation stopped flying "Pan Am" an dtransferred operations to Boston-Maine Airways (also owned by them), to help get out of pilot contracts. Same folks.

Ah, I guess that shows what happens when you actually read the articles instead of just glossing over them :). Thanks for the clarification, Spike.

My father used to work at PanAm. He got sold to Delta with a bunch of other assets.

I was sad when the original PanAm closed their doors- I always hoped to see a space shuttle with the blue logo going to a space station like on the cover of 2001- A Space Odyssey.

Back