Palm Springs Advice?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
OK...Had a trip planned to Palm Springs this afternoon, but winds are forecast for 15kt gusting to 25kt, but only 20 degrees off the runway heading.

Landed there a long time ago, and winds were a bit tricky even when less than today...but that was in a high wing - 182.

Today is a PA32 Saratoga.

Go / no go advice appreciated!

You got 10,000 by 150' on 31R. And it's always windy there, I used to solo students at that airport, I'd think you'd be fine, all else fails just take the big runway. I've landed there in my Stinson in winds FAR greater than that, and nearly direct cross winds too.

You got more than enough real estate to land on at KPSP, and KUDD right down the way, as well as KTRM with a cross wind runway too.

Go.

But if you are going via Banning Pass, stay high with wind like that unless you really get your jollies having your head bump off the cabin ceiling.

Jim

Can the afternoon flight. Worst time to cross.

Go tomorrow morning and be off the ground 1/2 hour before sunrise.

I'd just go. Be ready for bumps, but not the end of the world.

If your scared of turbulence (which ain't that big of a deal) go via BALDI intersection.

So What Happened?

Weather briefer talked me out of the Friday flight to Palm Springs. Instead, had a wonderful early am flight and stayed Saturday night.

Then today, went to Ramona for a day at the Wild Animal Zoo, and then a flight home and some unforecasted IFR. Coastal Route through LAX Bravo was closed by ATC just was I was lining up. Used SFR instead, and ended an amazing trip with a very nice landing in my favorite plane...the Piper Saratoga.

Flying just rocks!

Back