Palindroning On and On and On….

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
“…It used to be so nice, It used to be so good…”

So there I was at FL310 at the front end of a 10+ hour flight back to the US this morning…. I turned on the in-seat entertainment system and started browsing the collection of CDs. I nearly had to stop & scour my bag for a battery for the MP3 player.

There it was. The FIRST CD in the list: “ABBA – The Definitive Collection”… all the songs you wish you’d never heard and hoped you’d forget. Songs like “SOS”, “Dancing Queen”, “Mamma Mia” (‘Here I go again’). (“Only 19.99 plus 7.35 for shipping and handling, CALL NOW, 1-800-badsong. The first 100 callers to 1-800-badsong to order ABBA – The Definitive Collection will get a free Swedish meatball recipe…. That’s 1-800-badsong for ABBA…”)

Sigh.

Then I continued to scroll down the list. It didn’t exactly get better:

Madonna – “Immaculate Collection”
Wham! – “Make it Big”
Belinda Carlisle – “Best of, Vol. 1” (There’s a Vol. 2? WHAM! SOS!)
Traveling Wilburys – “Collection”
Alanis Morissete – “Jagged Little Pill”
James Taylor – “One Man Band”

All that was missing was Looking Glass....

My faith (and brain) was restored as I continued…

AC/DC – “Back in Black”
New Order – “Substance”
Metallica
Depeche Mode – “Music for the Masses”
Temptations – “Temptations Live” (I’m a sucker for 60’s Motown – this is GREAT)
Nirvana – “Unplugged”
David Bowie – “Let’s Dance”
Robert Palmer – “Best of”
Van Morrison – “Astral Weeks”
Jefferson Airplane – “Surrealistic Pillow”
Prince – “Purple Rain”
Cheap Trick – “Authorized Greatest”
Howlin’ Wolf – “Definitive Collection”
The Smithereens – “Meet the Smithereens”
Sting & the Police – “Best of” (Aahhh…..great music… someone selected SOS tune…)
The Clash – “London Calling”

Something to offend just about everybody. And a few things worth listening to. I was worried I’d have to listen to 10 hours of ABBA (whom I call the palindrones), undoubtedly getting one of their bad songs stuck in my head (“darling can you hear me SOS”)…. (don’t go there, Scott… TralalaTralalaTralala I can’t HEAR you) ;)

Well there is some good stuff, along with some pulrely awful stuff. Wham and Travelling Willburys just made me chuckle.

Just one note shouldn't the palindrome be now known as ABA???

Back