Painting a plane. What are the rules?

Aircraft paint shops are not necessarily run by A&Ps. They bring one in to inspect for damage, to perform repairs, to balance/reinstall control surfaces and to return the plane to service.

The FAA suspects that you are performing maintenance on the aircraft. Even though you don't have a certificate, they can still fine you.

Couple of things I'm wondering about:

1. How did the "FAA" come to know that this aircraft was being repainted? Does the OP, or the plane in question, have a history of FAA non-compliance?
2. What about repainting this aircraft is it that the "FAA" is not happy about? Is he putting it on with a roller? Is it lead-based, glow-in-the-dark, or some other kind illegal to spray kind of substance?

I was under the impression that the FSDO guys disliked responding to local tattle-tale kerfuffles unless there was a serious and verifiable concern for safety to the general public.

Not a lawyer, but I play one on the Internet. If the letter wasn't registered, certified, or delivery confirmed by another method, it doesn't exist - the Post Office is the sender's agent. You never got it. . .

Doh! Looks like you read the thread, not the original post. He got a certified letter.

It's only covered if a pilot themself did the work under a very limited scope. Is the OP a private pilot or sport pilot? If they are just someone from the area that can paint that doesn't quite cut it...
Where do you draw the line? I ordered an Airtex kit.. I didn't make the seats, am I not allowed to install?

Where do you draw the line?

Read FAR Part 43 Appendix A section C.

I ordered an Airtex kit.. I didn't make the seats, am I not allowed to install?

I have no idea how you made the leap from what I said to this comment. But take a look at FAR 43 Appendix A(c.15):

Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system.

Back