Paint shop recommendations in Illinois

Steve Job

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Job
Anyone have any experience with Illinois paint shops? We are looking to beautify our Cherokee 235. I know about the one in Sandwich (and we plan to fly there for a quote), but are there other reputable shops in the area?

Thanks,
Steve

There is a shop in southern Wisconsin who did my friend's Cherokee 6 and he is happy with the price and the work. I could find out if necessary. Small shop on a small field that has two runways.

Well its not in Illinois but not a long trip from Normal. My flight instructor had his old 172 painted at Dodgen aircraft in Allegan MI. They do a great job painting airplanes and they seem to be fairly reasonable. You can go to their web site http://www.dodgenaircraft.com and check them out, they have an estimated price list for the 235 and other aircraft. They also have a few examples of their past work.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys! It look like we are settled on the shop at Sandwich, although the prices at Dodgen seem very attractive.

There is a shop in southern Wisconsin who did my friend's Cherokee 6 and he is happy with the price and the work. I could find out if necessary. Small shop on a small field that has two runways.

Sounds like Watertown (KRYV)... ?

I'm surprised Mike hasn't popped up here... The paint on N284M is holding up pretty well, I think. Not sure where he had it done, though.

Sounds like Watertown (KRYV)... ?

I'm surprised Mike hasn't popped up here... The paint on N284M is holding up pretty well, I think. Not sure where he had it done, though.

THE MAN. Randall (Randy) Effinger. Central Aviation Watertown. 920-261-1880 He's done a LOT of planes on our home base that are still shining after 10-15 years of being parked outside.

My advice is on any project, you GOTTA have a good idea of what you want and it's best to make the best sketch you can to convey the design. The shop will do something great, but if you want it to look like what you have in mind you have to be able to explain what you have in mind. Bring pictures of similar schemes, etc.

I made a second trip to the paint shop to get some minor stuff changed. Now it's what I wanted!

(Picture by Steve See)

Attachments

• 284M Gastons fri042 768x576.jpg
    284M Gastons fri042 768x576.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
That's a great looking plane Mike! My two partners are concerned about being able to easily visit the project during the 5 weeks of estimated downtime, so I guess Watertown is a little too far away. I hope it turns out as well as yours did (and for the price we are paying, it better).

That's a great looking plane Mike! My two partners are concerned about being able to easily visit the project during the 5 weeks of estimated downtime, so I guess Watertown is a little too far away. I hope it turns out as well as yours did (and for the price we are paying, it better).

I visited by renting a Warrior and having little remembrance of setting cruise power on it so the trip took a little while longer than it should have. One thing that happens when you go back to a Warrior from a 235 is you keep banging the throttle forward wondering what's wrong.

Watertown is in a few hours driving distance and I was living in Chicago at the time. I got picked up by car once by a very nice GF. When I made the second trip a buddy flew me back.

Edit: I see you're in Normal. Add an hour's driving time. Just pick a nice day to drive or get a flight from a buddy!

THE MAN. Randall (Randy) Effinger. Central Aviation Watertown. 920-261-1880 He's done a LOT of planes on our home base that are still shining after 10-15 years of being parked outside.

Aha! I didn't realize you'd had yours done at Watertown. Cool.

Back