Paint protection film

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
Planning for a paint job on my Tiger this winter and could use a pirep on protection film (aka leading edge tape). I saw one thread recommending a gap tape and in another posting the 3M clear leading edge tape. But haven't found any pireps on these people:

http://www.aircraftpaintprotection.com/

The film looks much easier to install than I understand the 3M tape is (due to the contact adhesive on the 3M tape). APP has a bunch of Youtube installation videos and they show it going on some pretty complex shapes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt5_KCBJcFZZEi-lPlg4nw

Done wet. May be repeatedly repositioned until it is dry and cured. Stretchy so it follows compound curves well. They claim good resistance to yellowing, and after 10 years if it does yellow some or get dinged up, it can be warmed, removed, and replaced without damaging the paint.

So, anyone here have experience that they can share about the AAP product or the other sources with similar water activated polyurethane film products? How do they look initially? How protective are they? How do they hold up? Can they really be removed without damaging the paint?

Also, I'd be interested in more details on the 3M leading edge tape. How hard is it to install? Does it conform to compound curves (among other places, I am looking to put it on the leading edge of my nose strut which is about 1.5 inch diameter tubing with a ca. 6 inch radius, 60 degree bend about 3/4 of the way down. 3M says it may be peeled off, but I've heard otherwise. What's the real story?

Thanks in advance. Barry

I don't know what product they use but it is big business for the front of high dollar motor homes... Whatever they use , it works damn good...

I believe the leading edge tape is the same as 3M helicopter tape, here's my experience with it.

When I worked as an IndyCar mechanic we used 3M helicopter tape on the leading edges of the tub and wings. It came in 2" and 4" widths, and could be applied dry or wet with a bit of dishwashing liquid.

It stretches, and with a little practice it can be applied wet to compound curve surfaces, squeegeed, and left to dry. I was able to cover some fairly intricate surfaces with it.

The stuff is very durable. It survived being sandblasted by the grit on the racetrack at 220 MPH. It was pretty easy to pull off after about three races, I used a heat gun on stubborn areas.

Now the material is available in less expensive packaging and smaller sizes as 'paint protection film' as you noted.

The 4" material we used was about $500 a roll, it looks like that has gone up since I quit racing seven years ago. :eek:

But it works great.

3M 8663DL Clear Aerospace Tape - 4 in Width x 0.018 in Thick - 24904 [PRICE is per ROLL]
Be the first to review this item
Price: $624.05 + $11.49 shipping

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8663DL-Cle...pebp=1441419770044&perid=143575NK7ZMFDW5GJWQH

I haven't found any problems applying 3M leading edge tape. It goes on...like tape. I bought a roll a while back to see if I could seal up some seams that were leaking water on my Navion.

Paint protection film. Works great.....for a while. Then it starts to yellow, and crack, and peel, and...... Eventually it will look worse than the un-protected part would, after the same length of time.

Paint protection film. Works great.....for a while. Then it starts to yellow, and crack, and peel, and...... Eventually it will look worse than the un-protected part would, after the same length of time.

The paint shop I will be using wasn't quite as critical, but described essentially the same experiences. They recommended 3 coats of clear coat in the high wear areas (colors don't need clear coat). Charge would be less than the cost of buying the film.

Back