Paint and waxing question

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My 1977 Cessna 172N has an excellent and fairly recent paint job (about a year). It has always been hangared (when not flying) and I want to keep it looking nice.

First question pertains to the fuel nozzles that leak fuel on to the high wing. How much of a problem is that going to cause? The guy that sold it to me said don't worry because the Jet Blue paint will tolerate it.

Another question is about how frequently it needs to be waxed (or polished?). What questions should I ask my car-wash guy that is excellent on cars and claims to have done a few airplanes. How often does this need to be done to a hangared airplane in Florida where the biggest problems are the salt air and the bugs. Does it need special airplane wax or polish or is a good automotive product ok?

My 1977 Cessna 172N has an excellent and fairly recent paint job (about a year). It has always been hangared (when not flying) and I want to keep it looking nice.

First question pertains to the fuel nozzles that leak fuel on to the high wing. How much of a problem is that going to cause? The guy that sold it to me said don't worry because the Jet Blue paint will tolerate it.

Another question is about how frequently it needs to be waxed (or polished?). What questions should I ask my car-wash guy that is excellent on cars and claims to have done a few airplanes. How often does this need to be done to a hangared airplane in Florida where the biggest problems are the salt air and the bugs. Does it need special airplane wax or polish or is a good automotive product ok?

I polish my aircraft very few months...I fly about 250 hours a year...

There are tons of great products to polish airplanes...Aeroglaze is what I use on my 182...other will suggest what is, I am sure, other great products. CarbonX and Polyglide for bugs...

The blue stains from the fuel nozzles can be taken off with...AV gas...

http://www.washwax.com/(WASH WAX-all) is one of the great ones. Spray it on, rub it in/on, wipe it off before it dries. Terrific! After every flight(during bug season) I do the leading edges, struts, and cowl; the bugs wipe off easily. After I've done the whole plane, the remaining parts of the gallon will last the rest of the year.

HR

I wax my entire airplane once a year and try to re-wax all leading edges at each oil change which is about every 3 months. I use a good automotive wax and have good luck with it. Others will be sold on other products.

I think a lot of this difference of opinion on the best product has to do with what type of paint is on the bird and how good it is. Mine paint is Imron, and is in good condition thus bugs just wipe off with a wet rag, even after a week or more so I certainly don't see a need to change to something far more expensive.

I definately wouldn't let anyone else wash or wax my plane, just as I rarely let others put fuel in my plane or change the oil. Washing and waxing and changing the oil are good exercises in getting to know your bird and it's condition. And, you don't have to worry about someone doing something dumb like clogging the static port with wax.

But that's just me.

I think a lot of this difference of opinion on the best product has to do with what type of paint is on the bird and how good it is. Mine paint is Imron, and is in good condition thus bugs just wipe off with a wet rag, even after a week or more so I certainly don't see a need to change to something far more expensive.

Nope, doesn't matter a bit on what type paint. I use Collinite Insulator wax on everything that is smooth surfaced from water/alcohol based to simple oil based enamels to the most modern linear polyurethanes like Alexseal. I also use it on varnish, acrylics and polished metals...everything. I buy it multiple cases at a time because waxing a big yacht is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge, when you reach the end, you start over.I've been taking care of paint all my life, and I've never found anything better, not even as good, and I try them all. It is not expensive, is highly resistant to mineral permeation (I never get salt residue streaks) is easy to apply and wipe and outlasts everything else on the market while leaving a great shine.

Back