Pacific City, Oregon

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I had the opportunity yesterday to fly into PFC for lunch. A couple of guys from Lenhardts 7S9 and myself each flew our planes to the beach. It was a beautiful day you should have seen the sun shining on the waves. Pacific City runway is right on the beach and is 5 feet above sea level. Cross wind for runway 32 takes you out over the ocean. Down wind is a flight along the shore line. We walked across the road and had lunch. The flight takes you over the coast range of mountains and is a nice flight. I hope to do it again soon. I flew back along the beach to Lincoln City before heading back to 7S9. A great Jan. day. Bob

I had the opportunity yesterday to fly into PFC for lunch. A couple of guys from Lenhardts 7S9 and myself each flew our planes to the beach. It was a beautiful day you should have seen the sun shining on the waves. Pacific City runway is right on the beach and is 5 feet above sea level. Cross wind for runway 32 takes you out over the ocean. Down wind is a flight along the shore line. We walked across the road and had lunch. The flight takes you over the coast range of mountains and is a nice flight. I hope to do it again soon. I flew back along the beach to Lincoln City before heading back to 7S9. A great Jan. day. Bob

That is quite the classic coastal flight isn't it Bob.
A fairly short RWY too.
I'm glad you hit the coastal weather well.

That is quite the classic coastal flight isn't it Bob.
A fairly short RWY too.
I'm glad you hit the coastal weather well.

Dave--- It is a good strip, 1875 X 30, but it is paved and is actually a state airport. The approach to runway 32 is over water so you can really get down on the end of it ok. The weather was ideal, calm wind , no fog and sunny. you couldn't ask for better weather. That was my first time into PFC but I plan to go back. Bob :yes:

I go to PFC every september with a group for skydiving. It is beautiful hanging from a parachute at 3000' over the coast.:D

I go to PFC every september with a group for skydiving. It is beautiful hanging from a parachute at 3000' over the coast.:D

Maybe we'll see you over there this fall as it's the best time we've found for crystal clear air and the coastal WX.

And BTW, welcome to the hangar Byron.

We need to have a PoA Pac Northwest fly-in at the coast, methinks! :)

Pac NW isn't that far away. I might be able to make it (hell, I've gone everywhere else for a fly in, why not?)

Hmmm...now I will have to think of something fun. Manzanita has an airstrip on the beach from which you can just walk over the the ocean (overflew it on my own coastal flight in November), and I am sure there are tons more. Research time! (And the good thing...if push comes to shove, I can ::choke...gasp:: drive there...

Must ponder.

Thinking out loud about other possible fly-in sites, in no particular order:

Hoquiam, WA (KHQM): Good food at Lana's on the airport

Astoria, OR (KAST): Sandwich bar on field; Lewis & Clark's Fort Clatsop nearby

Tillamook, OR (KTMK): Tillamook Air Museum

Bend, OR (KBDN): Columbia Aircraft factory

Sunriver, OR (S21): Resort on field

Yakima, WA (KYKM): Cub Crafters factory

McMinnville, OR (KMMV): Evergreen Air Museum, Spruce Goose

Vancouver, WA (KVUO, my home field): Pearson Air Museum, Fort Vancouver, Officers Row, hotel and restaurants on Columbia River within walking distance

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Pacific City was the first small (that is, a runway less than 5,000 feet long and 150 feet wide) airport that my bride ever landed at. When we rolled out on final she said "THAT is an airport?!" A fun trip!

I'd add Jefferson County (Port Townsend, WA, 0S9) to the list of PNW fly in airports. The Spruce Goose cafe there is a classic, excellent airport eatery.

Jay

How about Gleneden Beach ( Siletz Bay ) ( S45 ) Salishan Lodge and restaurant? 1/2 mile with a shuttle. Beach is within walking distance. Bob

How about Gleneden Beach ( Siletz Bay ) ( S45 ) Salishan Lodge and restaurant? 1/2 mile with a shuttle. Beach is within walking distance. Bob
Same airport, the Side Door Cafe is directly across the road from the airport, a short walk. A touch more upscale than your typical airport food, great salmon ceasar salad, not expensive.

Jay

Lots of great locations suggested so far, I'm open to any that WX will allow. Might want an IFR approach for coastal airports, but not mandatory especially if an alternate say, in the desert, is prearranged.

I flew back to PFC an Sat a week ago with a young guy that wanted an airplane ride. I set my camera in the front window and here is the tape. I am having some blurring problems with some of my tapes. I think it is something about a blur filter I have to figure out. But, this is going into PFC. for a landing. Bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-n_fH7C1o

Back