PA46 Down- passed up alternate airport

without knowing what he passed up its impossible to say. there is a 7000 ft runway at Grenada but who knows where the engine went pop. we don't.

plus how the hell does ATC know where mechanics are?

Depends which controller you're talking to. Some of them know aviation. I've gotten advice from/through ATC underway when looking for services.

In multi engine operational (as opposed to instructional) situations I successfully landed after precautionary shut down of a running power producing engine with an oil leak. It's one of the advantages you have in that you don't have to let a $25 hose cost you a $25,000 engine.
Oh I'm not saying there is never a reason to shut down a thrust producing engine. I'm saying that one should seriously think about what they're doing before they do so.

In a single it's almost always a bad idea with a few exceptions.

Singles have their place, but I don't get how people can go out and spend tons of money on an airplane and still end up with a single (sorry, Andrew).

Well, there aren't a whole heckuva lot of options in NEW twins these days. Starting at the low end: Tecnam P2000, Diamond DA42, Piper Seneca, Beech Baron...

<crickets>

... King Air, Citation Mustang...

With the exception of the incredibly short-lived Adam A500, there hasn't been a cabin class twin produced in a long time. Getting what Andrew got in terms of interior size and comfort means a King Air or similar - And that's a helluva lot more expensive to purchase and operate than a Matrix!

The only other option is to buy an old airplane, get new P&I, completely re-do the panel, etc. etc. etc. and then you still have an old airplane that's not worth half of what you put into it.

Clearly there is a market for a cabin-class twin - There wouldn't be so many Twin Cessnas, Navajos, etc. still out there flying if there wasn't. Maybe someone will come out with one again. Or, maybe by the time it's certified, it'd cost so much that the King Air would look like a better deal and the days of the cabin-class piston twin are over. :dunno:

Diamond might find out - They have their light twin in the DA40, and they have a pressurized single in the pipeline... They also let slip upon the introduction of the new Austro engine that there is another twin in the works, but it doesn't even have a name yet. Hmmmmm...

Back