Pa28-140/160 or PA28-161?

BoeingBoy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boeingboy
I'm new to the GA world and am looking for a trainer for the wife to fly and do weekend family jaunts. Considering a Piper Cherokee 140/160 or a Piper Warrior 161. Our airport is approx 3000ft. I like the extra space in the Warrior but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

The 160 and 161 have rear baggage doors I believe. Definitely convenient. The extra hp is also nice.

Aren't the PA-28-140/160stc Cherokee and the 161 Warrior the same HP?

Yes. The Cher 140 with 160 STC or the Cher 160 both have the 160 HP. The Warrior PA-20-161, or Warrior II has the same.

For me, there is no question that I would get the Cherokee. Unless there is a need for adult rear seat pax. I like the Hershey bar wing, and the lower cost of the Cher 140. If there's a need for rear seat pax, then the 161 might be worth it, but I would look at the Cher 180 later models for the weight carrying.

Thanks for the reply Cowboy,

In your opinion what are the advantages of the Cherokee over the Warrior? Is it just purchase costs? If both are the same to purchase what are the advantages of one over the other?

I don't know - it's just a personal thing. I think the Cher 140 is a better performer in most respects. I just like flying them. I'm also kinda cheap so the savings is good, or if you spend the same money, you'll get lower engine and prolly better radios for your money.

Personal preference. I don't have anything against the Warrior but I don't think it was a step up from the earlier Cher 160C, or 140 with the hi HP engine.

The Warrior has a 5" longer fuselage compared to the Cherokee. The 5" ends up being more leg room for the back seat pax. The stretch basically made the aircraft usable for adults in the back seat.

I don't know - it's just a personal thing. I think the Cher 140 is a better performer in most respects. I just like flying them. I'm also kinda cheap so the savings is good, or if you spend the same money, you'll get lower engine and prolly better radios for your money.

Personal preference. I don't have anything against the Warrior but I don't think it was a step up from the earlier Cher 160C, or 140 with the hi HP engine.

I concur. I have about 400 hours in straight wings and 500 hours in tapered wings, and the difference isn't material enough to justify the extra cost. And it isn't just acquisition costs; salvage yards seem to have better selections for straight wings and even some of the parts I purchase new are cheaper for the straight wings than for the others I fly.

If you are planning to fly with two people with light/medium bags and aren't in a hurry, any of the 140/160/151/161 aircraft should do the trick. If you are planning to carry more, take a look at a 180 or 181; you'll get 10 extra knots and 150 to 300 more pounds of useful load. They tend to carry a slight price premium over the lower power aircraft, but operating costs are very similar. I personally like having the 180 horses; when I'm not in a hurry I slow down to speeds and burns of a 140, when I want to go someplace 120+ knots is possible.

Make the decision based on the condition of the actual plane you are looking at. I've flown both. There are few (but real) differences. The warrior will be younger in age.

The warrior may have the tendency to float on landing. I would look for a Cherokee 180, my personal preference.

Yes. The Cher 140 with 160 STC or the Cher 160 both have the 160 HP. The Warrior PA-20-161, or Warrior II has the same.

For me, there is no question that I would get the Cherokee. Unless there is a need for adult rear seat pax. I like the Hershey bar wing, and the lower cost of the Cher 140. If there's a need for rear seat pax, then the 161 might be worth it, but I would look at the Cher 180 later models for the weight carrying.

All the Warriors are PA 28's... Not PA-20's....

Still a good topic and if it were me I prefer the tapered wing hands down...

Carry on..;)

Last edited:
The warrior may have the tendency to float on landing.
Only if you land it too fast -- and that is true of the original wing, too.

All things considered, go look at both planes, and buy the nicer one (material condition, equipment, etc) -- or better yet, buy the one your spouse likes better.

All things considered, go look at both planes, and buy the nicer one (material condition, equipment, etc) -- or better yet, buy the one your spouse likes better.

Solid advice here.....friends don't let friends fly junk. If the wife unit will be flying with you, let her give you input. Heck, you might end up in a C172 after she gets in and out a couple times.

But I'd say condition and books #1 with equipment oh so close in second. And remember, it's always cheaper to buy the plane already equipped then trying to upgrade it yourself. If you want a panel GPS, expect $10k installed min. at an avionics shop for a GNS.

The budget factors in too. I get by O.K. with my 160 HP Warrior and an 891 lb useful load. The 'fuel straw' helps with planning and load out.

Back