PA-44B brakes

Owenrg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Owenrg
I have been using my grandpa's PA-28B (235HP 0-540) and there are only breaks on the left side. Is there anyway to get breaks on the right side too? has anyone done a retrofit or... anything to get breaks on the right?

Also if you know any good mechanics in the Tulsa OK area I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: PA-44B breaks

What breaks are causing any problems with normal operation of the a/c?

Sorry, I'm talking about the breaks on the rudder peddles in the cockpit. there are only toe breaks on the left side. I just got my CFII and am about to get my CFI and there are a couple people that want to take lessons and I only have breaks on the left side... kind of an issue ;)

I suspect that you're referring to "brakes," not broken pieces; "peddles" are another matter to address.

Last edited:

oh wow, i just saw that, yes BRAKES not "breaks". sorry about that. I'm trying to not fall asleep at work and things are slowly slipping.

Thanks for the correction!

A miscue here and there can be comical; as long as hangars and hangers don't get confused. Welcome to PoA.

:eek:)

Why thank you. I didn't have anything to drink last night, just early work day... uggg. oh well.

It all depends. There is no *requirement* except good sense.

There is a requirement the airplane have "caul controls" for the flight exam, but there is an exception in the regs for brakes, but that is up to the examiner whether he/she wants to take the risk.

Is there a hand brake in reach? Are you instructing on nice long runways? Is there a grass strip available?

Yeah i know there doesn't have to be dual controls but if i'm going to take someone up for their first flight... i don't think i'll trust them with the only set of brakes ;)

I'm at a part 141 school so they have you do your CFII before the CFI because it use to be easier but the FAA saw that a lot of things were being skipped on the CFI as the add on so they changed the PTS.

You must be talking about a Cherokee 235 (PA28-235). My father would use the hand brake when giving dual in the LH only brake ships. I have heard of people converting them to dual brake systems too.

Kevin

Re: PA-28B breaks

Kmead, Thanks, yes the PA-28. if you've read the whole post you'll see that i haven't been firing on all cylinder today...

Please understand that you're not being picked-on as a new member. We're the friendliest, most helpful organization in aviation forums(fora??).

HR

Last edited:

Please understand that you're not being picked-on as a new member. We're the friendliest, most helpful organization in aviation forums(fora??).

Lol, on the red board he would have gotten a chewing out already that his petals are not in compliance with 91.344.22xx and that he is just cheating death by doing this in anything less than a FIKI twin, also there is a guy who could teach him for $700/day how to use the hand-brake on a Cherokee.

Yeah, today hasn't been... interesting.

Well, so far today we've got breaks, petals, and peddles. Sheesh. I'm not about to peddle broken petals.

Jim

The word substitutions and dropped or added letters annoy me too. My typing is bad enough I do it all the time- makes it much more annoying to see it in my post.

As long as nobody starts talking about the yolk, I'll be ok.......:wink2:

As long as nobody starts talking about the yolk, I'll be ok.......:wink2:

You no the yolks not on u so just grin and bare it! (yes, it was all intentional)

Yeah, you can get the gear from any aircraft salvage yard, probably cost you about a $1000 for the parts. I did the instalation on one years ago, IIRC it was a PITA. Figure about 2 days labor to get it done.

Yeah, you can get the gear from any aircraft salvage yard, probably cost you about a $1000 for the parts. I did the instalation on one years ago, IIRC it was a PITA. Figure about 2 days labor to get it done.

Is this set up where you are actuating push rods to the master cylinders on the left side, or is it a separate set of master cylinders?

Back