PA-32-300R & Grass Field

Painter1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
I really want to buy a nice Lance we have found. I have over a thousand hours in this type and am most comfortable with it.

Most of the hours will be commuting between home and our vacation cabin. There is an unpaved 3900 ft private strip very close to the cabin. Obviously that is very convenient. The area is pretty rocky, there is good drainage and the operators keep it well maintained. Loaded, on a hot day, we could use 2/3 of that runway on the way out, but it is unlikely we would be full of fuel or fully loaded.

The nearest public (paved) airport is a 35 to 40 minute drive away. That field is 5,000 ft. with several instrument approaches, decent services and 24 hour fuel.

I am told by the current owner that the insurance companies will not cover operations at unpaved fields for retractable gear. Has that been your experience?

3900 ft is huge. Most people would kill for a field like that at their vacation home. You are sitting pretty.

No such insurance issues for my Bonanza. Some people get "unimproved" confused with "unsaved." Not the same at all!

No issues for my R182 on grass either, insurance or otherwise.

In the process of buying an airplane, verify EVERYTHING, don't take the current owners' word.

And yes, that includes insurance.

FWIW, I flew my Lance in and out of Gaston's with no problem at all. And yes, it was covered by my insurance.

It's not a T-tailed lance, is it?

A Lance isn't an ideal grass strip plane, but it's doable. 3,900 is a lot of length at sea level...if your cabin is a a mile up, not so much.

The answer to your question is check with your anticipated insurance carrier. Shop around if necessary.

Never had any restrictions from the ins co. On my Arrow.

Check with your broker and see what s/he says, because that's the only answer which really matters.

Check with your broker and see what s/he says, because that's the only answer which really matters.
And also keep in mind that insurance is not one-size-fits-all and that if you want something in the policy that's initially excluded, you can almost certainly have it added.

nonsense. big tires, no wheel pants, fat wing. It's no C-180 but it's no slouch either

I've read that the t tail lance requires about 50% more take off space than the conventional tail lance (by lance owners on Piper forums).

Plus the grass factor.

I take off from a grass strip in the Comanche DA 4000', runway about 3800' and its a no brainier but that is a different wing all together.

I've read that the t tail lance requires about 50% more take off space than the conventional tail lance (by lance owners on Piper forums).

Plus the grass factor.

I take off from a grass strip in the Comanche DA 4000', runway about 3800' and its a no brainier but that is a different wing all together.
yes the t-tail is an inferior design but that has nothing to do with what the tires are rolling on

yes the t-tail is an inferior design but that has nothing to do with what the tires are rolling on
I think the bigger issue is the elevation. Yes, 3900' seems long for a private strip, but at 5000'MSL in a normally aspirated PA32R.....not so much.

Plus the grass factor.

We have a PA32RT in the family. Very capable airplane, but definitely not a great short field performer.

Thanks for all the response. It is encouraging. The plane is a '77 regular tail and the field is at 1400' MSL in SW Missouri. I will need to brush up on SF takeoff procedure, for sure, but I am optimistic now.

Thanks for all the response. It is encouraging. The plane is a '77 regular tail and the field is at 1400' MSL in SW Missouri. I will need to brush up on SF takeoff procedure, for sure, but I am optimistic now.
You have no worries with that setup

I kept three different Bonanzas at turf fields. No ins hassles ever.

I have never had a policy that restricted landings to anything other than it having to be an airport. I've heard it may be difficult to get a policy if you're based on a grass strip (though we haven't run into that either).

I have never had a policy that restricted landings to anything other than it having to be an airport. I've heard it may be difficult to get a policy if you're based on a grass strip (though we haven't run into that either).
I don't think it is in the current policy on the a Turbo Lance, but at one point dad's policy did prohibit landing on other than pavement.

My reading comprehension sucks. I saw the 5000' comment and didn't realize that was the runway length of the nearby airport.

You should be good at 1400'.

nonsense. big tires, no wheel pants, fat wing. It's no C-180 but it's no slouch either

You're right, it's ideal. I'm so glad the experts are here to correct my "non-sense".

Back