PA 28 control yoke

vannav

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
van
Can anyone here give me the total distance the control yoke moves from full forward to full aft ? mm or inch. I am a old license pilot but cost to fly too high for me now. Building a simulator yoke. If memory serves me correct i believe from level flight to full aft and or full forward distance is not the same.
van

It goes forward a lot less than it comes back. No idea of the actual inches though.

Also depends where you've got the trim set. The resting point varies. On the ground it's nearly all the way forward. There was actually a Cherokee in my hangar Friday, if I'd seen this post then I could have measured it for you.

For a reference my Navion, which is probably in the same ballpark the forwarded most position of the yoke puts the center of the handles about 2 1/2" from the panel. Fully rear puts it at 12 1/2" from the pane (10" travel). If I remember later today, I'll measure where it sits at cruise for you.

Also depends where you've got the trim set. The resting point varies. On the ground it's nearly all the way forward. There was actually a Cherokee in my hangar Friday, if I'd seen this post then I could have measured it for you.

For a reference my Navion, which is probably in the same ballpark the forwarded most position of the yoke puts the center of the handles about 2 1/2" from the panel. Fully rear puts it at 12 1/2" from the pane (10" travel). If I remember later today, I'll measure where it sits at cruise for you.

I would be extremely grateful for any information you could supply. I am a retired process engineer and viewing all the simulated yokes on the market it seems they all have it wrong. Very little yoke travel and equal distance forward and aft. Again I am extremely grateful for your kindness.
van

I would be extremely grateful for any information you could supply. I am a retired process engineer and viewing all the simulated yokes on the market it seems they all have it wrong. Very little yoke travel and equal distance forward and aft. Again I am extremely grateful for your kindness.
van

I could measure you a PC12 yoke tonight if that helps ya at all.

Not sure when I'll be back at the hangar, but I'll whip out a ruler. I'm usually there a few times a week and on the weekends, but I get to,work this sat and MX is looking at mine right now.

3" all the way in and 9.75" all the way put.

If I am understanding your dimensions correctly 3" from the panel to 9.75 " will give it 6.75 total inches of travel. Thank You so much.
van:goofy:

That would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much !
van

Ok, so on the ground the yoke is full forward with neutral trim.

So full forward (as she sits on the ground) back of the yoke is 6" from the panel face, full aft 14" panel to the back of the yoke.

OK, on the Navion it is from the panel 2.5" fully forward. Level flight neutral position is 6", and 12.5 full aft. As near as I can tell the normal cruise position isn't noticeably different than the trimmed for approach position.

Ok, so on the ground the yoke is full forward with neutral trim.

So full forward (as she sits on the ground) back of the yoke is 6" from the panel face, full aft 14" panel to the back of the yoke.

Thank You James.
Van

Not sure when I'll be back at the hangar, but I'll whip out a ruler. I'm usually there a few times a week and on the weekends, but I get to,work this sat and MX is looking at mine right now.

Thank You so much. Everyone here is so kind to go out of their way to assist me. I have been looking for the dimensions for a very long time.
van

Thank You all very much.
Van

Last edited:
Post some pics of this yoke when you're done, I'd like to see what you come up with :)

Post some pics of this yoke when you're done, I'd like to see what you come up with :)
Yes James I will post some pics of the yoke when I am done to share with all. If anyone interested my friend Esko in Sweden has a PA28 real cockpit here: you do not need a Facebook account to view: https://www.facebook.com/Pa28Simulator

Thank You all for your kindness.
Van

My CAD file for the PA28 instrument panel. In 100% scale PDf format. Also DXF and DWG format.

Attachments

• 28-140 Rev-E.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Isometric panel view.jpg
    Isometric panel view.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 15
Yes James I will post some pics of the yoke when I am done to share with all. If anyone interested my friend Esko in Sweden has a PA28 real cockpit here: you do not need a Facebook account to view: https://www.facebook.com/Pa28Simulator

Thank You all for your kindness.
Van

That's very interesting! I clicked the like button to follow that.

Finally getting back to designing the PA28 simulator after moving from NY to Virginia and other life events. I found the geometry a little complex when it comes to the yokes. I do not have an actual cockpit to measure from so have to depend on input from others for dimensions. My goal is to keep it as close as possible to real aircraft dimensions. I added the universal joints and modified T-Bar to the yokes. The maximum fore aft travel I can get is 8 or 9 inches. Wish I knew what the actual fore aft max travel is on a Piper Archer or Warrior. One other dimension that would be a great help is the total height of the T-Bar. Would be so grateful if anyone can supply those dimensions. So here is a few pictures of work in progress. Here is my Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/628896667180635/

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Drawing Yokes-1.jpg
    Drawing Yokes-1.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Drawing Yokes-2.jpg
    Drawing Yokes-2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Drawing Yokes-3.jpg
    Drawing Yokes-3.jpg