Pa-12 vs Pa-18

Mc Fly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sean
Is there any "real world" functional advantage between the Pa-12 vs a Supercub?

Doesnt the super cub have more power and better climb, shorter takeoff etc.?

ah thats it, and the flaps really do kill your glide, especially at full with a good hard slip.

Pilawt said:
PA-18 has flaps; PA-12 does not. PA-12 cabin is a little wider, can fit two in the back.

-- Pilawt

There is an STC to put the PA 18 flaps on the 12. While the back seat in the 12 is a bit wider and claimed for 2, in reality it's just a comfy seat for 1 adult. The PA 12 solos from the front seat as well.

There is no way you'd get two normal sized people in the back seat. Maybe two small kids but it'd be tight.

PA-12 uses more runway. It's a different airplane really.

Richard said:
Any more questions?

That looks like a "Hey ya'll... watch this.." kind of deals...

-Chris

that is cool, the tri motored tri pacer

i want one. Maybe Richard can transfer is killer photoshop skills into real mechanic stuff. :)

He PA18 can have the gross weight bumped up to 2000#

OK, which is what? Everyone knows a PA-28 is a Cherokee, but what are all the other variants?

Time to start a list...

tonycondon said:
Doesnt the super cub have more power and better climb, shorter takeoff etc.?
You can actually make a PA-12 into an aircraft that will equal or exceed the performance of most PA-18's, depending on mod status for both aircraft. Mine has flaps, 150 hp engine (with mogas stc - not avialble for 180 hp engines as far as I know), PA-18 tail, PA-18 doors on BOTH sides (very handy in a seaplane), the cabin skylight, two seat belts in the back (an approved field mod), in short, most of what are known as the "Alaska" mods. 2000 lb. gross weight stc is available from two sources.

A great place to learn about super cubs and other long wing pipers is www.supercub.org.

The 12 is faster,the angle of incidence is different and they are pretty close.The 18 does do better in takeoff but 12's are close if modded up.How about the pa 14,the 4 place cub?

Thanks all. The 12 seems like a pretty good bargain compared to the supercub.

Arnold: thanks for the link. Is the flap mod expensive to do?

jangell said:
There is no way you'd get two normal sized people in the back seat. Maybe two small kids but it'd be tight.

PA-12 uses more runway. It's a different airplane really.
Barb (the one from Gaston's) and I flew on a few trips with both of us in the back of a 12.

Mc Fly said:
Thanks all. The 12 seems like a pretty good bargain compared to the supercub.

Arnold: thanks for the link. Is the flap mod expensive to do?

I don't know the cost 'cause I bought the plane with the mod already done.
Sorry. I hung a new engine and put new avionics, fire blocked interior, two seat belts in the back - we planned to operate it part 135 in BVI but my partner down there sank it the week before we got our UK operating permit.

It sank at the dock, but the insurance co. does not want to pay and so I have not had the funds to rebuild it. Pics of the aircraft post sinking are too sad to post. :(

Arnold said:
I don't know the cost 'cause I bought the plane with the mod already done.
Sorry. I hung a new engine and put new avionics, fire blocked interior, two seat belts in the back - we planned to operate it part 135 in BVI but my partner down there sank it the week before we got our UK operating permit.

It sank at the dock, but the insurance co. does not want to pay and so I have not had the funds to rebuild it. Pics of the aircraft post sinking are too sad to post. :(

sorry to hear,Arnold. I hope you do rebuild soon.

Mc Fly said:
sorry to hear,Arnold. I hope you do rebuild soon.

I hope so too, but the wife is pushing for just writing it off and selling it for salvage. I try not to talk to her about it and can usually get a few months between "what are you doing about the airplane?" questions. Can't really blame her.

Back