P-40 gear collapse in Lincoln, NE

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I was at the airport today- wish I brought a camera. A p-51 and P-38 both took off.

A P-40 didn't make it off the ground- looks like the right gear collapsed. I thought it was on a taxiway, but the link below claims it was on the runway:dunno: don't bother with the video- all I get are two ads that repeat.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/65902292.html

People at the FBO told me he was taxiing...hardly a crash...

Glad no one was hurt. If you are gonna bang up an airplane Lincoln is a good place to do it. Many good repair & paint shops there.

They just aren't making them like they used to. Can't imagine that gear failing, it can't possibly be much more than 70 years old.

Glad no one was hurt. If you are gonna bang up an airplane Lincoln is a good place to do it. Many good repair & paint shops there.

That plane just happened to be the Grand Champion Warbird this year at Airventure. Came out of a multi-year restoration with no expense spared. All those warbirds that were on the airport together for the flyby are owned by the same guy, btw. We were visiting while re-positioning the P-40 for an early departure and he told me he remembered camping in the Vintage and Classic area as a kid with his Dad and has loved aviation ever since.

FWIW, the video worked fine for me. In the video the airport manager said the incident occurred on landing and apparently one of the brakes locked up and the plane veered off the runway.

Someone else at Teledyne got some pictures...

It doesn't look too bad but I'm no A&P...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 320
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 379
Someone else at Teledyne got some pictures...

It doesn't look too bad but I'm no A&P...

I don't know. I see a prop (and requisite engine), cowling, gear and a wing with a reported fuel spill in the paper. That seems bad enough. :)

I don't know. I see a prop (and requisite engine), cowling, gear and a wing with a reported fuel spill in the paper. That seems bad enough. :)

I'm thinking what it could have been...I agree- it is bad enough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back