Oxygen - 91.211

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
§ 91.211 Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

Do I read this to say:
A) I have to have oxygen on board above 12,500 but only need to use it after 30 minutes, or
B) I only need to have oxygen on board if above 12,500 for 30 minutes.

N2212R said:
§ 91.211 Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

Do I read this to say:
A) I have to have oxygen on board above 12,500 but only need to use it after 30 minutes, or
B) I only need to have oxygen on board if above 12,500 for 30 minutes.
The latter. But beyond 30 minutes you have to have it and use it.

That's what I thought, but sometimes the placement of a comma changes everything in a FAR.

Thanks.

The reason I ask is due to crossing the Rockies on my trip. Pretty sure I won't need to be that high along my route, but wouldn't mind the extra altitude if need be.

With all the flying your going to do on your trip it might be nice to have O2 on board. Is there anyone you know that might have a portable system you could use for the week (ours is built in).

Iceman's right, you know, you can get really beaten up at 12,500. Beaten, beaten, beaten, and make 80 kts over ground so it goes on forever.

No. I don't know anyone with O2. From all the planning I've done so far, I don't think I will have to go above 12,500. I am going VFR, and unless I've missed something I should be ok.....should. If there's 40kt winds that put me at 80kts ground, I will NOT be crossing any ridges.

N2212R said:
No. I don't know anyone with O2. From all the planning I've done so far, I don't think I will have to go above 12,500. I am going VFR, and unless I've missed something I should be ok.....should. If there's 40kt winds that put me at 80kts ground, I will NOT be crossing any ridges.

Even VFR, if you plan to be above 10k for any length of time, I highly recommend you find a way to bring oxygen along. Heck, I might even be persuaded to loan you mine.

lancefisher said:
Even VFR, if you plan to be above 10k for any length of time, I highly recommend you find a way to bring oxygen along.

I agree. Especially if you'll be doing any night flying.

You'll be surprised at how much more refreshed you'll be if you use O2 above 10K.

Listen to Dr. Bruce, too. A couple of thousand extra feet may help get you out of some of the turbulance.

Back