Owosso, MI on Sunday.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Looks like that should be interesting, and make for watching some fun landings. 18-20kt winds from the NW. 50º offset from the runway.

Ed and Michigan PoA's,

Owosso(KRNP) will serve breakfast starting at 7:00am EDT on Sunday(24th) rain, snow or shine.

The wx forecast for Sunday: Temp - 33Lo-38Hi, Wind NW-15/25kts,
SNOW(Accumulating).

Man, Michigan wx can really suck. I will be building a nice fire on Sunday and will remain inside my domicile. See y'all next time.
Gary

Yep, the weather guessers aren't being kind right now are they...
I plan to make it as of now, Wx permitting.... but then, that's always the rub in GA isn't it!

We'll see what actually developes. Hey, it may have even cleared/stabilized by then.....:target:

(Possibly this is wishfull thinking?)

Last edited:
T Bone said:
Yep, the weather guessers aren't being kind right now are they...
I plan to make it as of now, Wx permitting.... but then, that's always the rub in GA isn't it!

We'll see what actually developes. Hey, it may have even cleared/stabilized by then.....:target:

(Possibly this is wishfull thinking?)
Well it's true that this looks to be one of those weather events where they won't know for sure what's actually going to happen until it's already happening... but the real uncertainties right now seem to be in things like where the rain/snow line will be when, how much snow falls and how much of what falls will stick, given ground temps. That it might turn out to be a good morning for a fly-in... yeah, that's wishful thinking.

But hey, we can all drive to an IHOP somewhere and have our own pancake breakfast, then maybe go outside and have a snowball fight. Lemons to lemonade...

Liz

I've been looking forward to this for weeks! I even got checked out in a 152 at Mettatal (and boy do they need to increase the hamster food in that thing) so I could fly in!

What a bummer!

Missa
-still praying the weather forcasters are wrong-

Gary Miesch said:
Now 4-6" SNOW on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it seems as if something has changed in the latest run of the model they have the most confidence in... GRR consulted with APX and DTX and decided to post a winter storm watch from 6pm Sat to 6pm Sun. The new DTX discussion isn't posted yet on http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/wxnow/sfd_index.php though.

Time to make other plans I think... like staying home and hibernating the whole weekend.

Liz

Bummer.. Still could be wrong, but it doesn't look good....
Maybe a snowball fight is a good idea :p

Missa said:
I've been looking forward to this for weeks! I even got checked out in a 152 at Mettatal (and boy do they need to increase the hamster food in that thing) so I could fly in!

What a bummer!

Missa
-still praying the weather forcasters are wrong-

So, which plane did you fly? And who did your checkout?

T Bone said:
Bummer.. Still could be wrong, but it doesn't look good....
Maybe a snowball fight is a good idea :p

So, which plane did you fly? And who did your checkout?

Checked out with Nick in N25418... nice guy, still is making me check out in the 172's and the Cherokee... :p but said all he would want to do would be fly the pattern with me once in each of the planes.

He said he wasn't use to checking people out downgrading to a 152 but usually they are upgrading to a 172. He asked me why? My answer: they are cheep and plentiful. It's much easier to schedule one of the 152's to go out and bum around the sky on a whim.

So, Owosso is out... I don't think the wind will die down and I'm not taking a 152 out in double digits.

Want to make a micro pancake fly...er...drive in. Say at the Plymouth Coffee Bean Co on (Pennimen next to the old post office) around 9-9:30?

Missa

The forecasts just get worse and worse. All of SE Mich is now under a winter storm warning. Huron County (Bad Axe) is under a Blizzard Warning. The worst of the storm is supposed to hit tonight through Sunday evening. Forecast storm totals for Detroit's northern suburbs anywhere from 6-10" (NWS) to 8-16" (Weather Channel). The wildcard will be ground temps, which should keep accumulation down... but widespread tree damage, power outages, etc. are expected.

I think I'll stay home and hibernate...

Liz

azure said:
The forecasts just get worse and worse. All of SE Mich is now under a winter storm warning. Huron County (Bad Axe) is under a Blizzard Warning. The worst of the storm is supposed to hit tonight through Sunday evening. Forecast storm totals for Detroit's northern suburbs anywhere from 6-10" (NWS) to 8-16" (Weather Channel). The wildcard will be ground temps, which should keep accumulation down... but widespread tree damage, power outages, etc. are expected.

I think I'll stay home and hibernate...

Liz

Ooooh...sounds like it's gonna be coming off Lake Huron and dumping on you. We're *only* supposed to get 6" I think.

Looks like they changed the forecast for us. 2"-4" now.

Missa said:
Checked out with Nick in N25418... nice guy, still is making me check out in the 172's and the Cherokee... :p but said all he would want to do would be fly the pattern with me once in each of the planes.

Nick's a hoot! He was my instructor throughout my primary, and I think he'll be doing my IFR as well.

418 BTW is the only one of the six 152's that has an avionics master (just so you don't spend alot of time looking for one in the others....). They've all got their own quirks and personalities, but any are capable of getting me smiling!

As for the Cherokee, unless it's come back quicker that I expect (?) it is down for an engine rebuild. Went out of service the week of my checkride I think, and they send the engine out for the rebuild. So, it'll be a bit more time before it returns...

Of course, if you're thiniking of a high performance sign off, there's also a 182...:D .

As for the Coffee Bean thing, do they have food? (reall food?:rolleyes: ). The yellow pages says they're sort of "Starbucks" like.... Anyone else thinking breakfast?

And does anyone know of the next (psuedo) local fly in coming up (Man, Owosso was the perfect "not to close, not too far" location).... Ah well.....

T Bone said:
Nick's a hoot! He was my instructor throughout my primary, and I think he'll be doing my IFR as well.

418 BTW is the only one of the six 152's that has an avionics master (just so you don't spend alot of time looking for one in the others....). They've all got their own quirks and personalities, but any are capable of getting me smiling!

As for the Cherokee, unless it's come back quicker that I expect (?) it is down for an engine rebuild. Went out of service the week of my checkride I think, and they send the engine out for the rebuild. So, it'll be a bit more time before it returns...

Of course, if you're thiniking of a high performance sign off, there's also a 182...:D .

Nick just happened to be convinetly avaiable when I had the time to fly. He seems knowlageable but I'm currently playing stump the aviator on the regs with him... We had a diffrence of oppinion on wether something was legal so I'm in the process of finding out where it is in the reg so I can copy, highlight and drop it off at the airport for him... I think it was a matter of him thinking one thing and saying another...

I already have two soon to be three pipers at my disposal in Troy so it being OofS at Mettatal isn't a big deal for me... I just wanted a backup in case Burz's get all scheuled and I wanted to go somewhere, or I get the urge on a sunny weekend to do some spontainous flying. I really love the owner and the people at Burz, they are just great people. I'd feel kinda dirty if I dumped them straigth out for Kitez. Burz is a bit more expensive but I think it's a better plane. Both have GPS's and DME's in the pannel, autopilots of some form and are REALLY well maintaines. For $15/hr more... I'll fly the pipers at Burz. Not sure what the Kitez planes have, but if the 152 with it AFD inoped is any indication, they are just not as nice.

Nick suggested I could start on the HP too, but I think with the IR and tailwheel/acro lessons I'm more then booked and spent out to do another right now. However my current flight school doesn't have a HP to teach in so I would probally do it with him at Mettatal when I'm ready.

T Bone said:
As for the Coffee Bean thing, do they have food? (reall food?:rolleyes: ). The yellow pages says they're sort of "Starbucks" like.... Anyone else thinking breakfast?

They have blueberry pancakes on the weekend... (you can get them with out the berrys or with other fruit, but... the blueberrys are really good) And what more do you need then pancakes and coffee?

T Bone said:
And does anyone know of the next (psuedo) local fly in coming up (Man, Owosso was the perfect "not to close, not too far" location).... Ah well.....

http://www.mdot.state.mi.us/aero/calendar/dp.cfm
Has a list of the pancake breakfasts in the state of Michigan.

Next one looks like may first at Freemont (3F1) and they look like they are doing a church service blessing planes as well... intresting... But I'll be in Cinci for the first three weeks of may so the next one I will be able to attend it the one at PHN on the 22 or maybe the hanger dance :dance: at Flushing on the 21st.

Missa

When we all started talking about going here, the Wx. was forecast as 50 degrees F. and sunny.

KFNT 241553Z 31013G22KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BKN008 OVC014 M01/M01 A2942 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 SLP969 P0000 T10061011 $
Wonder how the pancakes were....?

Wow, lots of Michigan people on here. Lapeer (D95) has a good breakfast in the summer but looks like they're going to rebuild our taxiways this year so it's probably off.

Tom

T Bone said:
When we all started talking about going here, the Wx. was forecast as 50 degrees F. and sunny.

KFNT 241553Z 31013G22KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BKN008 OVC014 M01/M01 A2942 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 SLP969 P0000 T10061011 $
Wonder how the pancakes were....?

Probably cold, eh?

Yuh. I flew from Frederick to Dayton thence Peoria Saturday. It was quite a trip.

bbchien said:
Yuh. I flew from Frederick to Dayton thence Peoria Saturday. It was quite a trip.

You weren't even in the worst of it.

I waited till Monday morning to go to southern West Virginia (blf) I was showing 190knts at 9000 in the Mooney on the way down and made it in about 1.7hr. Had to go to 10,000 on the way back due to turbulance and was down to 105knt, took me almost 3hrs to get home. about half way back I was wishing I had not drank that 20 oz diet coke. Dr Bruce you got big brass ones to have flown Sunday. Did you get any ice?
Joe

Back