Owning One Fifth of a Pitts?

Ya you really don't want to be teaching fundamental tailwheel skills in a Pitts. I really want to see those fundamentals learned in a Citabria or Cub.

Kim if you come to LVK you can grab a lesson with me in our S2C just to give you an idea. Its a handful but like anything else, is just an airplane if you break it down.

ngzofb.jpg

OK, I will bite now. What, if I may ask, would it cost to do such a thing? How open is your schedule?

When I was checking out in my Pitts, my instructor informed me of the Pitts cliche: There are two kinds of landings in a Pitts: successful and unsuccessful. I was a very competent tailwheel pilot when I bought it, and checked out fairly easily, but I think every flight I made in that airplane ended with my heart pounding as I turned off the runway. Good? Bad? Depends on if you're an adrenaline junkie or not.

I have a lot of time in Pitts S2A, S2B, S1C, Christen Eagle, Acroduster II. I enjoyed landing these airplanes so much that I would do 3 or 4 every flying session. I have landed the S2B and Acroduster in well over 30kt xwind with no issues. The reputation these airplanes have is unfounded. They are very quick and light on the controls and have little forward visibility but once you learn other visual clues are no big deal. Most problems are pilot induced over controlling. You can tell a good Pitts pilot from how little the rudder moves on take off and landing. Don

I won't say the reputation they have is unfounded. It is very founded. The airplane is easy to land if you are skilled and competent. Problem is, its not very forgiving. Every Pitts I have flown has a smaller "box" to stay in, once you let it get outside the box thats when problems can happen.

Back