Ownership economics question

It's not so much about upgrades. It's about the ROI, which includes the value of time.

…Where is the break-even point?

That’s a personal choice because it’s a measure of profitability, which is irrelevant. You’re assuming the binary choice of restoring/upgrading vs buying new.

There’s a third option, buying something that’s already had all that work done. Discount wise, that’s the sweet spot. Premier Aircraft Sales brokers stuff like this, and unless you’re already on the wait list or buy a spot on a wait list, there ain’t showrooms of new planes sitting around, unspoken for.

Ex: a clean, 2002 A36 with a mid-time motor and well equipped is going to run $400-$500k. A mid-time G36 is $700-800k. A new G36 isn’t being made.

A clean, mid-time, well equipped Ovation 2 will only set you back $250-300K. No Mooneys have been made in years.

SR22: mid-tine G5 NA is $500-650k. new G6/7 is $850k-$1.4M.

But none of those guarantee dispatch and 100% uptime.

Ok I have solved all of your issues , you need 2 planes I had 2 for years a nice k model bonanza and my Glasair RG so it was work on one fly the other pretty easy deal really 2 cheap ones instead of a million dollar one I never didn’t have a plane to fly , what bothered me the most was when they cut off the experimental planes to Mexico, if 2 couples were going we took the v tail if just 2 of us the Glasair which I liked flying anyway, I am lucky my hanger will hold more than 1 plane it goes on and on , one friend has a Husky, a cirrus ,and a lake anfib. If I was rich not sure how many I would have , but when I go from Minnesota to California in the winter I take sun country. It a lot cheaper not as much fun but I don’t get stuck in Kansas because of weather

Back