Owner/Operator Start Up Costs

Bergitor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bergitor
I've recently got authorization from the at home commander (wife) to look into purchasing an aircraft for private use. I know what I want, which is a Navion with a few of the mods/STC's- like the tip tanks. I also know that it will require additional ratings to fly since it has retractable gear and most of them have been outfitted with 200+ HP engines. What I'm concerned about though is the actual start up cost of owning an airplane.

It's like moving into a new house and realizing you have to drop a few grand on appliances, window treatments, and other odds and ends. What kind of investment am I going to have to make after purchasing the aircraft- outside of maintenance costs- that aren't evident. Items like Headsets, Books, Ramp fees for storage... Anything that you can think of would help me get an idea of something I'm enthusiastic about, but don't want to walk into blind.

Good luck with your purchase, here are some starter items to think about. I'm not sure on numbers for a Navion.

1. Pre-buy inspection cost- probably close to an annual inspection fee.
2. Title Search/FAA docs -$95 AOPA has a vendor deal.
3. Ferry costs/trips to look at planes
4. Insurance - Get a quote early on, will give you an idea of training needed.
5. Hangar/tie down arrangement (dependent on where you are)
6. Loan fees (if you are financing)
7. Training (will depend in insurance and currency)
8. Type club membership
9. Head sets
10. Data subscriptions (Garmin, foreflight, Sirius, etc)
11. Fuel, oil, tools, manuals, air compressor
12. cleaning supplies (small vac, rags, etc)

The list goes on, but I bet you get the idea. Lots of little expenses. These are things I encountered when I first bought a plane.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah it sounds expensive. I'm trying to work out a budget, and looking at how much Navion I can really afford. I'm an A&P so the pre-buy and what not, doesn't concern me over much. I'll rip it apart and take a healthy look at everything. The plane itself ranges anywhere from 30-60k.

It's not a couple of extra ratings, just endorsements. The insurance is going to require 10-25 hrs with a CFI who can provide those in the same time, no worries. Headsets, depends on what you want and how many, you can spend $500 on 4 or you can spend $2000 on 2. There's also hangar costs or a good canopy cover if you're going to tie down. Insurance cost will depend on the insured value, figure if you are low time with no retract time your first year/100 hrs is going to be around 5-7% insured value. Maintenance and avionics costs will depend on condition and equipment you buy it with.

I would be looking for one with the IO-470 260hp or IO-520 285hp. The 260 will give you almost the same speed but the 285 will get you out shorter and climb better. The 260 will save you money on maintain and overhaul all things being equal.

Thanks Henning. The bit about what engines to look into is another piece of the puzzle I hadn't yet contemplated yet. I was looking at going the route of economy.

I was also unaware of the insurance rates.

Thanks Henning. The bit about what engines to look into is another piece of the puzzle I hadn't yet contemplated yet. I was looking at going the route of economy.

I was also unaware of the insurance rates.

They'll go down around 1.2-1.5% insured value after 100hrs. You're an A&P so you should be ok on those costs. The best budget engine is going to be the IO-470.

Beautiful aren't they pinstriper?

I was looking at air-clubs in my area... I'm not sure if they are any more economical than owning your own. The associated recurrent costs of membership and the per/hr costs seem bloated when you have 20+ people to an airframe buying in.

Any input there? Is there an estimated cost of operation/hr that some one knows?

Beautiful aren't they pinstriper?

I was looking at air-clubs in my area... I'm not sure if they are any more economical than owning your own. The associated recurrent costs of membership and the per/hr costs seem bloated when you have 20+ people to an airframe buying in.

Any input there? Is there an estimated cost of operation/hr that some one knows?

Depends which engine. Look at between 10-18gph depending on the engine and how fast you want to go. Add $15hr for engine reserve and another $5hr general maintenance for a plane in good shape. If you buy a cheap one, look at an extra few thousand the first year to get it squared away minimum. Hangar depends on where you live, anywhere from $100-750 a month.

It's minor but don't forget something powered to tug it around with on something the size of a Navion. Especially if you'll be flying it alone. Much nicer than pushing.

There is a Navion coming up for sale at a local field (I73 Moraine) near me in OH. You want the info sent when I get it?

Sure Mike, I'd be interested in seeing it. Do you know the seller? I know a few big Navion guys in the Clinton County area.

Is it just me, or does Vg feel like you just point the nose straight down in a Navion? I must say that my 10+ hrs in a navion were exciting and I enjoyed the plane very much.

It's minor but don't forget something powered to tug it around with on something the size of a Navion. Especially if you'll be flying it alone. Much nicer than pushing.

Good point. I made my own using a $100 lawn tractor off of CraigsList and my brother-in-law made me a tow bar out of scrap steel. Only problem with it is that it doesn't have good traction for the twin (heavier than a Navion) so I'm locking the differential and adding wheel weights.

If you're not already a member of the American Navion Society (navionsociety.org) you should join. There's a booklet available from them called "What to look for when buying a Navion." Good background reading and also has a pre buy checklist in it.

If the ground is flat, you don't need much other than a regular tow bar to move the Navion. I regularly pull mine OUT of the hangar by hand. I can generally handle it around fuel pumps and stuff without even the tow bar. I do have the (apparently now defunct) VThrust tow bar to get it back IN the CJR hangar which has so substantial slope to it.

I had my Navion on leaseback to a flying club at IAD for a while. Having been on both sides of leasebacks I can tell you some stories (success and failures).

Engines in the Navion go all the way from the E-185 up to IO-520 on the type certificate. Pretty straightforward to put an IO-550 (what I have). There's some oddballs out there with turbos (both Lycoming and Continental).

Best glide ain't nothing like putting the gear and the flaps full out in the Navion and closing the throttle. I scared a rather experienced flight instructor doing that.

If you have any questions, ask. I'm on the board of the society.
If you

Back