"Owner" listed under C:\Documents and settings

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I'm trying to figure out why under C:\Documents and Settings the folder associated with my login/username is named "Owner." Was there something I improperly setup during the installation of Windows XP? I remember on my old setup that it had my name instead of "Owner"

Just curious....

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
I'm trying to figure out why under C:\Documents and Settings the folder associated with my login/username is named "Owner." Was there something I improperly setup during the installation of Windows XP? I remember on my old setup that it had my name instead of "Owner"

Just curious....

Jason

I think it is a default. My laptop does the same thing.

It's usually done on name brand PC's like Dell and Gateway - they set up a user for you before putting it in the box, because people who buy the computer often don't know what to do with it when its already operational, let alone how to finish setup.

If you've made a new user account for yourself and a new admin account, you can (and should) delete "Owner".

Greebo said:
It's usually done on name brand PC's like Dell and Gateway - they set up a user for you before putting it in the box, because people who buy the computer often don't know what to do with it when its already operational, let alone how to finish setup.

If you've made a new user account for yourself and a new admin account, you can (and should) delete "Owner".

If I create a new account, what will I need to copy and paste over to my "new" documents folder on the other account? Just whatever is in the documents folder? The problem is that all 500+ songs in iTunes point to the ..Owner\My Music directory :dunno:

Is it okay to leave it the way it is?

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
If I create a new account, what will I need to copy and paste over to my "new" documents folder on the other account? Just whatever is in the documents folder? The problem is that all 500+ songs in iTunes point to the ..Owner\My Music directory :dunno:

Is it okay to leave it the way it is?

Jason
When you create a new profile (ie user name), you'll get a whole new set of Documents folders, including for your iTunes. Two choices: leave it as is or create the new profile and point it at the old iTunes folder after you start iTunes. Okay, three choices: you could copy over all the songs from your old to new profile in the same location.

Don't change the name on the folders. There are way too many other things tied to that profile that won't work after a name change.

Better option:
As owner, Start - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - File settings and transfer wizard.

Set up as the "Old" computer, and save to c:\backup

Log in as new user account, run same program, set up as new user, and use files in c:\backup

Now delete c:\backup and the owner account

Everything from owner will now be moved to your account of choice.

Greebo said:
Better option:
As owner, Start - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - File settings and transfer wizard.

Set up as the "Old" computer, and save to c:\backup

Log in as new user account, run same program, set up as new user, and use files in c:\backup

Now delete c:\backup and the owner account

Everything from owner will now be moved to your account of choice.
Okay...I'll do this when I have some more time in case something happens. My main question is do I really need to do it, or is it just a preference thing? If I create the new account, I'll have all the files, but not my XP settings, correct?

...and IIRC: If I use the File settings & Backup wizard, it will restore my settings and documents folder, but my program files and other C:\ directories should remain accessible on either account. I just have many applications that are customized just the way I want (outlook) and all of my e-mails (mannnnny many many e-mails) from outlook.

...just a bit confused at this point. Thanks for all the help thusfar.

Jason

If you create the new account, you MAY not be able to directly get at the "Owner" account's files, unless as Owner you set the permissions on the My Document folder to allow others to view them. You may not have a problem with this.

And the file settings and transfer wizard behaves exactly as you suspect.

The transfer wizard will NOT harm the files in any way, and Owner will still have copies of them as well, so you have nothing to lose by trying it out before deleting Owner and their files. Try it, test it, and if it doesnt work quite right, go back to being "Owner". If it works, trash owner.

Greebo said:
If you create the new account, you MAY not be able to directly get at the "Owner" account's files, unless as Owner you set the permissions on the My Document folder to allow others to view them. You may not have a problem with this.
The local administrator can always get to local profiles, regardless of owner. The exception is if special permissions have been added/altered on the user profile folders (unlikely in 99.9% of the situations).

Right - thats why I said MAY not - not will not. :)

Back