Overwhelmed

Luke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
traindude2002
Hi, I would like to be a part of the flying community, but I'm just... overwhelmed. I'm 14, and while I know that may be a little young I would like to at least know what to do (what schools to go to, what aircraft to get, etc) before the time comes to actually train, which according to google is 16. I guess I'll start off with my goal which is to be able to fly myself to places. While piloting a passenger plane would be a goal I feel would be more substantial because of the hard hours of non-paid training it takes to get it and the fact that hundreds of lives lay in my hands scares the bejeezus out of me. Heck, I can barely land a Beechcraft king air 350 in FSX. Basically, the first and foremost thing I want to know is what flying school I go to and how do I get in. the closest airport to me is Charlotte Douglas International Airport (Or CLT). Any information or websites would help me. The second thing I need to know is that if having Cystic Fibrosis and Crohn's disease would stop me from being a commercial/recreational pilot. Please respond if you have any helpful Information, Luke:eek:h yeah:

Get into gliding. You are already old enough to solo (many do it on their 14th b'day) and can get your private certificate at 16. By that time you can be an accomplished veteran. Some kids in our club by that age can fly circles around the older folks. To convert your glider cert to power flying is very easy, since you'll be an expert in aerodynamics, stick-and-rudder flying, weather and visual navigation.
Not sure about your pre-existing diseases, you'd need others to chime in on that, but I do know those things won't stop you from gliding/soaring, which IMO (being rated in airplanes, helicopters and gliders) is by far the most fulfilling and fun.

WELCOME!
First rule ya gotta learn for piloting is to chill, don't sweat things!

Setting a goal, studying and working to achieve that goal is what life is about. I can't say what school is best for you. Spend the time to research and talk to the folks at different schools. Rotordude and whereisrandall both gave good advise.

You can study the ground part on your own. Get the books, study and have fun learning what most folks don't know. About $40 get's you started....Good luck and most of all have fun...:)

Start training now, there is no minimum age to begin flight training, you just have to be 16 to solo. There are many youngsters like yourself who have aspirations to become an airline pilot and it definitely isn't out of your reach.

The second thing I need to know is that if having Cystic Fibrosis and Crohn's disease would stop me from being a commercial/recreational pilot.

Welcome, and hopefully this helps:

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...signee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201003_color.pdf

That newsletter, directed at the FAA Airman Medical Examiners in 2010, says there are 113 people with CF who had Third Class medical certificates. The article discusses that the primary concern is lung function and usually the issuance of the medical is done on a special issuance renewed at shorter intervals than a regular medical for "under 40 years old".

It doesn't look to me like there's any mention of any CF patients qualifying for Second or First Class medicals.

That all said, it sounds like recreational aviation is maybe the best you can hope for, but you'd want to speak to an expert, that's just me reading the article.

On the recreational side of things, there's changes coming -- you may be able to have your own personal physician sign a form that says they believe you're safe to fly and that's that, but the rule changes are still unknown.

Also as some have mentioned, gliding and certain other aviation activities allow a person to "self certify" so to speak and don't require a medical certificate. However... and it's a big however... if you DID apply for a medical certificate and were denied, FAA considers that to mean they looked at your case and you have a condition incompatible with aviation and you can not self-certify after a denial.

So...

The long and the short of it is:

You can probably fly some, but unlikely to fly commercially. (That last part is a guess.)

You may want to be extremely cautious about how you go about applying for a medical certificate if you need one for the sort of flying you want to do, and you should seek specialized assistance from a Doctor who knows the process. Many here recommend Dr. Bruce Chien. AeromedicalDoc.com is his website.

Above all, CF affects your lungs and flying could run risks to your health that you should study and understand with assistance from professionals. Your health is more important than any of the above. Health first, flying second.

That's just the CF part. I can't speak to the Crohn's.

I think even if you planned to stick to areas of flying where you self-certify medically, I would want you to have spent some considerable time researching the effects of the CF and how it relates to aviation, and talk to both your own medical professionals and someone fully versed in the FAA medical process like Doc Bruce at length before flying to make sure you aren't injuring yourself.

But as of 2010 from that article, 113 people have done it.

This post should NOT be considered medical advice. This one sounds like it's square in the "You need to talk to professionals." category. But it doesn't sound impossible, depending on your specifics.

That's what I would tell you if you came to me and wanted to start flight training... especially after reading the warnings about hypoxia in that article. I'd want to make sure flying wasn't going to harm you or others, and I'm not qualified to make that determination.

Take an intro flight, find an instructor and/or flight school that works with your schedule. It's never too early to start. Good luck!

Yeah, intro flight, and buy a copy of Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. Read a chapter a night, and re-read the chapter about airspace three times.
Also, go on SkyVector.com and look at the airspace in your area. A great way to get acquainted with all the symbols, etc.

Good luck, Luke! I hope the medical issue aren't a deal-breaker.

Don't worry about FSX. The feel is totally wrong, and the only way you'll get consistently good landings is to fly the trim, assuming you have your speeds right. Real airplanes have feedback proportional to trim error, not a spring. Flying the trim is a bad habit.

Back