Overseas Rent car insurance

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Going with the Ford Mondeo seen in other thread I think

Called Amex, they offer collision and comp with use of the card, within their limitations

But

Liberty Mutual, my current policy holder won't offer liability on out of country rentals, not even through a separate policy.
Can a Scotsman successfully sue me way over here? ;)

whaaa! I need an attorney, just to....live!
Here is info I have gleaned, do I have coverage or not?

The car rental company website says:

YOUR RENTAL FROM EUROPCAR FP INCLUDES
*Unlimited mileage and fire insurance. Liability Insurance for injuries or damages to persons or things outside the vehicle.

RENTAL DOES NOT INCLUDE
* Rental excludes Collision Damage Waiver Rental excludes Theft Protection. Auto Europe strongly advises you to contact your credit card company for coverage.
* Insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or damages to vehicle. Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee.

GENERAL TERMS
* Auto Europe does not provide insurance . Coverage is provided by the rental company, as indicated. Additional coverage may be available for purchase from the rental company. Insurance does not provide coverage for damage to windows, tires, roof , underside or interior of the vehicle.

The credit card company website says:
#

The Plan covers theft of or damage to most rental vehicles.
# #The Plan covers theft of or damage to most rental vehicles.
# You must use your American Express Card to reserve and pay for the entire auto rental.
# You must decline the Full Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or similar option or pay for a partial collision damage waiver, offered by the Commercial Car Rental Company .
# The Cardmember must be the primary renter.
# You must list additional drivers on the rental contract.
# Coverage applies for vehicles rented up to 30 days from a Car Rental Company.
# Coverage is excess or secondary to all other insurance policies.
# Coverage is for eligible vehicles valued up to $75,000.
# There is no coverage for any type of pick-up truck, full sized SUV, luxury van, any exotic sports car and any type of cargo van, truck or U-haul type vehicle.
# Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.
# There is no coverage for damage to any vehicle other than the Rental Auto or for injury to any person (i.e., liability coverage).
# Loss of use charges are covered for accidents, which occur on or after May 1st, 2006 when properly supported by the Rental Company .
# Coverage is provided for Excess Medical Expenses, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Excess Personal Property if you decline the Personal Accident Insurance and Personal Effects (Baggage) coverage and similar options offered by the Rental Company.

Amex becomes primary when your regular insurance coverage won't cover you. IIRC, Amex doesn't cover liability, but I may be wrong. Rental car companies typically cover the minimum legally-required liability coverage.

You MAY be covered liability wise if you have an Umbrella policy (which is a good idea regardless).

I rent cars in Europe through Auto Europe (autoeurope.com) which has, in the past, offered an all inclusive rate (except fuel) that's quite competitive with a "car only" rate from Hertz/Avis/Europecar.

Dave

When I'm overseas, I get FULL coverage, credit card coverage be damned. I have never had an accident, but if I ever did, I want to literally be able to walk away from it and let the rental company deal with it - no hassles of "who pays for what" and "well, you are covered but there is this tiny clause that conflicts with the laws in France and so you are responsible for 500-1000 whatever bucks..."

It's overseas, I'm not familiar with the laws, I'm on vacation and I'm simply not interested in getting caught out. I've found that Auto Europe (or Kemwel, whom I've used a number of times too) still offers pretty competitive rates even with full coverage so I just go with that.

Back