Overly Rambunctious

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Looks like High Desert Wiring ain't gonna fly. Richard and I looked a while back at some local laws that may have impeded my ability to do business in the state. I spoke to a lawyer today and it turns out that unless I get a contractor's license, I cannot do the work I was planning on doing for customers.

In order to get a contractor's license, I need 2 year experience doing what I planned on doing. Catch 22. Ugh.

Now I gotta find a new business....well, first, I need to shut down the business I have now and file my $0 tax return.

Move here, either there are no laws or no one pays them any attention!
(most cities have ordinances I believe...Spike would know)

Don't give up the dream of being a small business owner Nick, you can make it happen.

For some reason when I clicked on this thread I expected to be reading about Piper. :confused:

Sorry to hear about your new venture.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Move here, either there are no laws or no one pays them any attention!
(most cities have ordinances I believe...Spike would know)

Don't give up the dream of being a small business owner Nick, you can make it happen.

Nick, data cabling (low voltage) would not require a license in Texas. Come on down!

==

PS- That bites.

PPS- Maybe you could speak with a licensed electrical contractor which lacks the skill-set, maybe joint venture.

SkyHog said:
Looks like High Desert Wiring ain't gonna fly. Richard and I looked a while back at some local laws that may have impeded my ability to do business in the state. I spoke to a lawyer today and it turns out that unless I get a contractor's license, I cannot do the work I was planning on doing for customers.

In order to get a contractor's license, I need 2 year experience doing what I planned on doing. Catch 22. Ugh.

Now I gotta find a new business....well, first, I need to shut down the business I have now and file my $0 tax return.
Not a Catch-22, all you have to do is hire on with someone doing that kind of work. Document the experience and take the licensing test when the time comes. I think NM also allows for unlicensed if the total billing (materials and labor) is less than $500.

But all is not lost, you've wet your whistle for being a business owner and you've shown you are motivated. Plus, you've gotten a taste for the paperwork ownership entails. And you've learned not to pick couch potatoes as business partners.

SkyHog said:
I spoke to a lawyer today and it turns out that unless I get a contractor's license, I cannot do the work I was planning on doing for customers.

You need a license for low-voltage wiring? Are you sure that lawyer knows what you're trying to do? :eek: That sucks. Sorry to hear it. :(

Did you incorporate? If so, no need to close it up - Just change the name when you decide to start the next business. It'll save you lots of money next time around. :yes:

These licenses laws serve to eliminate the competition.

The Catch-22 is intentional.

What happens here is the law says you have to be a full time employee for the required two years, then they NEVER hire full timers.

flyingcheesehead said:
You need a license for low-voltage wiring? Are you sure that lawyer knows what you're trying to do? :eek: That sucks. Sorry to hear it. :(
It's considered a contractor level job. Many states require contractor's licenses to do this kind of work now.

mikea said:
These licenses laws serve to eliminate the competition.
Or you could look at it the other way and say they are intended to protect the consumer from unqualified contractors or con men.

Contractor licenses aren't particularly difficult to get but they do take some effort. Low voltage wiring has moved up a long ways from what it used to be. New homes are now including Cat5/6, coax and even fiber in some areas to multiple areas of the home (if not ALL rooms like a few of my friends have). If it's not done correctly, the consumer ends up footing the bill in some way for replacement or fixing it, often not finding it until months or years later. Contractor's licenses requiring time on the job insure that (1) you probably know what you're doing with installations and (2) you have to pass the tests to understand the inspection requirements and consumer rights for the task at hand.

When I hire someone, I look for a registered contractor license on the AZ website. I refused to hire a landscape contractor that had lost his license due to customer issues (it's on the website). That alone probably saved me a big chunk of change. He talked a good game but it turned out he was skimping on the work.

Brian Austin said:
Or you could look at it the other way and say they are intended to protect the consumer from unqualified contractors or con men.

I can assure you that it varies by locality. I have had as much trouble with licensed contractors as I have with unlicensed folks. The biggest difference is that the licensed guys *should* have insurance, but often they don't. In a number of places the contractor licensing board is stacked with contractors (e.g. self-policing), which represents a conflict of interest where a consumer has a problem.

In many cities there is a categorical exemption that allows homeowners (residential, single family dwellings of less than 4 stories) to do their own work in lieu of hiring a contractor - in those cities, the homeowner can pull a permit and request an inspection. In a handful of cities, ALL electrical wiring (including phone, television, computer, etc) must be done by a licensed contractor, regardless of whether the installer is the homeowner or not - the city will NOT issue permits to anyone other than electricians. In the latter case, Mike is correct: it is intended to eliminate any competition and protect the trade.

My observation has been that there were more electrical fires in areas where the homeowner was not allowed to do his own work.

Back