Overland Park KS airports

Nsconductor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nsconductor
I need to fly up to Overland Park, KS and pick up a rescue puppy as a new family member. The foster is willing to meet me at any near airport. I will refuel and get a bite to eat before heading back to Houston. Looking for recommendations as to the best airport to go into. Looks like KOJC, KIXD, or K34 will all work.

Advice please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Any of them would work for OP. IXD had 3 FBOs, Signature, New Century Air Center, and Advanced Aviation. Signature is on West side while Advanced and NCAC is on the east side.

OJC is the closest to OP and has two FBOs; Air Associates on the east and KCAC is on the West side.

K34 has one FBO on the North side of 9/27 and is the furthest from OP.

Another option on the way in is to stop at Miami County (K81). It has a BBQ place on the field (closed on Mondays) and some of the lowest cost 100LL in the area. It is about 35 miles south of OP, but a short hop into IXD, K34, and OJC.

Edit: Added K81.

Last edited:
Axtel4 has it: OJC is closest and most convenient to Overland Park. You might be able to grab a car and get up to Joe's for some BBQ, too. It isn't too far away.

On the $$ side, OJC has the most expensive gas, followed by IXD and then K34. If you want cheaper fuel, look at KMKC (KC Downtown). Current price is $3.99. Depending on where the foster lives in OP, Downtown may not be any further than IXD or K34.

Air Associates at OJC has treated me well every time I stopped there.

One of the controllers at OJC is really big into Pilots and Paws. Might mention you are on a dog run just in case he's on duty.

KOJC is the closest to civilization. Probably your best bet is meet at KOJC, hop down to K81 on your way back to get some cheap gas and some really good BBQ.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think stopping at K81 inbound for gas and Q sounds like a plan. Hop up to OJC, pick up the pup, then high tail it to Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'd recommend IXD, Advanced Aviation, or else MKC at the self serve pumps. MKC has the cheapest fuel. IXD Advanced Aviation is also a nice airport.

Back