Overheard VFR Into IMC On Sunday

ggroves

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Titanium
While flying back from HPN early Sunday afternoon, I overheard the following call while monitoring 121.5

"..PAN PAN, NXXXX, a Cessna Skyhawk near Ellendale (sp?), NY, I'm @ 7,000 feet and climbing...I've entered instrument flying conditions..PAN PAN"

I was was SW of Allentown at the time. A commercial airliner answered him, suggested that he squawk 7700, and was trying to coordinate with NY Center, who did give him a frequency.

I hope everything worked out....Did anybody else hear anything about this situation?

Greg
182RG

Wasn't flying this weekend but I can guess you had a chill run up your spine Greg! Hope all turned out well.:fcross:

Ah.. scary stuff.

I really should make a habit out of monitoring 121.5.. I just never think to do it.

jangell said:
Ah.. scary stuff.

I really should make a habit out of monitoring 121.5.. I just never think to do it.
I think it's a good idea -- the AIM "encourages" monitoring the guard freq in section 6-2-5 d 1

jangell said:

Easiest way to monitor guard (121.5) is with dual flip-flop radios. I usually am using Com1 for ATC comms, and Com2 to get weather, monitor CTAF before I get there, etc.

However, when you have a flip-flop on Com2, you can leave it selected all the time on your audio panel, with 121.5 tuned. Then when you need another frequency, select it in the standby, flip it in when you need it, then flop it back out when you're done with it and you're back to 121.5.

flyingcheesehead said:
Easiest way to monitor guard (121.5) is with dual flip-flop radios. I usually am using Com1 for ATC comms, and Com2 to get weather, monitor CTAF before I get there, etc.

However, when you have a flip-flop on Com2, you can leave it selected all the time on your audio panel, with 121.5 tuned. Then when you need another frequency, select it in the standby, flip it in when you need it, then flop it back out when you're done with it and you're back to 121.5.

Yeah the 150 I did my primary training in did not have a com2. The tailwheels also only had one radio. So when I do fly in airplane with two I almost have to force myself to use com2 because I'm so used to not having it.

I do try to monitor 121.5 on COM 2 as we are REQUIRED to do by NOTAM since 9/11.

My strange problem is due to my antique audio panel or something, I get feedback noise in my ears when I transmit on COM 1 while also monitoring COM 2 or vice-versa.

mikea said:
I do try to monitor 121.5 on COM 2 as we are REQUIRED to do by NOTAM since 9/11.

My strange problem is due to my antique audio panel or something, I get feedback noise in my ears when I transmit on COM 1 while also monitoring COM 2 or vice-versa.

Good for you Mike; monitoring 121.5 if you are able is not an option any more. If y'all begin listening to that frequency, you may find lots of warnings on there in addition to emergencies.

Best,

Dave

Back