Outpsyched myself today...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
After an uneventful flight in the Cherokee today, I decided to fly the R22. In preflight I noticed that the blade at 12 o'clock was low -- like eye level, and the 6 o'clock blade is, because the blades are on a teeter hinge, high. I went over the rotor assembly real carefully, and couldn't find anything wrong.

So I get the helicopter out of the hangar, fire it up and run the checklist. Nothing unusual.

Being a chicken, I taxiied for a while to the mid-field intersection to let the engine warm up and to see if anything unusual happened. The gauges are where they should be, no warning lights. So I announce my departure, and start my takeoff. About the time I passed the runway threshold, I feel like I'm getting more vibration than I should. So I stay in the pattern, and on downwind I called unicom and ask if the airport manager (who had been my primary instructor) could go fly with me for a little bit.

Nothing unusual happened in the landing and he climbed aboard and did some aggressive hover work. Again all normal. He then flew a pattern and pronounced that all was well -- then he got out and I went on to do a joy ride (with a hair trigger set to autorotate if I had to).

Thankfully, nothing bad happened and I returned after 1.1 hours.

I think this was all in my head -- triggered by the unusual blade position.

I guess it's kind of like how engines always make funny sounds when you fly over water ;)

Still, I'm glad I asked for an adult to look at the aircraft -- the extra vibration could have been real instead of in my head!

RotaryWingBob said:
...an uneventful flight in the Cherokee today
Then, feeling the need for an even bigger thrill, you decided you needed an eventful flight.
I went over the rotor assembly real carefully, and couldn't find anything wrong.
You were staring at it! Just stand back to get the big picture.

So I get the helicopter out of the hangar, fire it up and run the checklist. Nothing unusual.
Nuts and bolts flying willy nilly, that's not unusual.

Being a chicken, I taxiied for a while to the mid-field intersection to let the engine warm up and to see if anything unusual happened.
Give yourself a pat on the back, aint nothing chicken 'bout flying a whoppity flopter.
The gauges are where they should be, no warning lights.
Gauges obviously OTS.

Nothing unusual happened in the landing
You won't know until later, when it reveals itself.
and he climbed aboard
How daring.
Again all normal.
You keep mentioning normal and helicopter in the same sentence, you really must stop doing that.
He then flew a pattern and pronounced that all was well
He had to say something, he couldn't just walk away leaving you on the ramp, could he?
then he got out
Either his daring left him of his bag was empty, or both.
and I went on to do a joy ride.
At least you stopped saying normal

I think this was all in my head -- triggered by the unusual blade position.
I'll let someone else wise crack about it being in your head, but if you're gonna' fly those things you do have something loose.

I guess it's kind of like how engines always make funny sounds when you fly over water ;)
No, it's not like that all because that happens to starch wings too.

Still, I'm glad I asked for an adult to look at the aircraft -- the extra vibration could have been real instead of in my head!
Roger that.

Back