Outlooook Weather

forseth11

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Forseth11
Hello POA. When I fly, I usually use weather found from WingX-pro or Foreflight, and I get a DUATs weather report. I want to plan a flight to Denver from Dallas during Thanks Giving break, but the weather sources I use only show forecast weather up to 48 hours ahead. Where can I get somewhat accurate weather up to a week in advance?

I was going to fly to Denver via an IFR flight plan, and my Mooney does not have any certified deicing or anti-icing equipment, so I can't fly into areas of known icing (and I wouldn't want to either). I want to get weather for the Denver area to find things such as freezing levels, predicted cloud bottoms and tops, and areas of predicted icing. I just want to find weather a week ahead to see if I should even consider my plans or if I should plan to go elsewhere next week.

A week out is often mostly guesswork but we're waiting to see if the weird little high pressure ridge comes back after this low and first city snow (which probably won't amount to much but we've had such a mild fall, folks are gonna freak out and forget how to drive, as usual) that comes in tomorrow evening.

This time of year it's generally unlikely we get huge snowfall. It's really dry this year.

For long term guesswork I usually look at AccuWeather but I mainly just look for big patterns more than a week out.

Right now most of Thanksgiving week looks mild with temps in the mid 50s on the ground. Pushing 60 on Thanksgiving Day.

We set a record high temp for today of 80F. It'll be snowing tomorrow evening. LOL.

In my opinion, there is a reason the weather forecasts you're using only show an outlook for a day or two, because beyond that they're just taking an educated guess. When I want to start planning on whether to anticipate flying or driving this far out I usually just look at the national weather service forecasts for several cities along my route of flight, and the departure and destination forecasts. In fact, I did just that this morning for my own Thanksgiving trip. Surprisingly, my route of flight is looking good for a change this year.

3 day forecast is typically the earliest that you'll find accuracy. More than that is just a guessing game.

And the Denver forecast wasn't even accurate for today... low pressure system came over the Rockies and once it was clear of the ground friction, it sped up. More snow, more wind than forecast. Not a LOT more, but more than they guessed.

(Edit: Rotation sped up.)

Weather.com has a 5 and 10 day forecast. Its better than nothing. The further you go out, the less accurate until at 10 days, no accuracy better than a guess

24hrs is on the edge.

A week out...

Maybe try here?
Miss-Cleo.jpg

24hrs is on the edge.

A week out...

Maybe try here?
Miss-Cleo.jpg

Irony / Karma:

Rip people off that work for you by telling them you have terminal cancer.

Finally make it as a fake psychic.

Never pay anyone back.

Don't predict your own death.

Die at 53 of cancer.

Irony / Karma:

Rip people off that work for you by telling them you have terminal cancer.

Finally make it as a fake psychic.

Never pay anyone back.

Don't predict your own death.

Die at 53 of cancer.

No chit......?

Did not know that

Back