Outlook Express file

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
My wife's Dell died, and a friend managed to copy the hard drive onto multiple CDs. I have reconstructed her system on her new computer, except I cannot find whatever file it is that has her old email (outlook express). I have her address book etc; I'm just looking for the archive of old mail. Can anyone tell me what type of file/filename I should be looking for and, once I find it, where to put it on the new machine? Both machines are Win XP Home.

Ken Ibold said:
My wife's Dell died, and a friend managed to copy the hard drive onto multiple CDs. I have reconstructed her system on her new computer, except I cannot find whatever file it is that has her old email (outlook express). Can anyone tell me what type of file/filename I should be looking for and, once I find it, where to put it on the new machine?

Files with the extension .mbx and .wab
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188854

DON'T USE OUTLOOK!
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

gibbons said:
Bah! Nonsense.
Don't use Outlook Express.
Bah! Nonsense. Don't use Outlook.

Both versions of Outlook will happliy execute ActiveX malware even in messages in the preview window. Thunderbird will not do that. It doesn't even speak ActiveX.

Well, my home Dell crashed. Sh_t. Rewriting it from a June 06 file. Mike, you'll have to email me to walk me through the pilotcast.com email settings again. sigh.

Ken Ibold said:
My wife's Dell died, and a friend managed to copy the hard drive onto multiple CDs. I have reconstructed her system on her new computer, except I cannot find whatever file it is that has her old email (outlook express). I have her address book etc; I'm just looking for the archive of old mail. Can anyone tell me what type of file/filename I should be looking for and, once I find it, where to put it on the new machine? Both machines are Win XP Home.

You are looking for the .PST file.

It is usually located here on an XP machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

LeonardMack said:
You are looking for the .PST file.

It is usually located here on an XP machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

.PST is outlook. He's asking about outlook express.

Outlook Express is usually located at
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<Some folder with a bunch of meaningless numbers>\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If the computer is running, you can find which folder by going to Tools > Options > Maintenance (tab) and clicking on the "Store Folder" button. Though that doesn't do you much good in this case. Just go through the number folders until you find the one with the files in it.

Back