Outlaw Field KCKV procedure

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I am flying down to Clarksville, TN tomorrow to KCKV (Outlaw Field)

It is an-uncontrolled field that is within Class D airspace (next to Air Force Base)

So what are the procedures? It says the handle Approach and departure.. So I am assuming I just call 10 miles out advise them I have the weather and I am landing at that field? So I am toggling back and forth to CTAF and their tower (glad I have 2 radios) I assume they will just clear me to the pattern or into the airspace?

Also when departing.. since they "handle departure" do I call them after I take off or prior? Seems like not a lot of time after I get off the ground before I get out of the D..

Capture_zps3lxvbfe3.jpg

Call approach on the way in. Not strictly required but many class D's with approach controls work better if you play the game fully.

The rule straight from the book"
From a satellite airport without an operating control tower, must establish and maintain two-way radio communications with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace area as soon as practicable after departing.

However, on arrival I'd ask around the airport if there is some local procedure. Often there's a (if you depart on heading XXX below 1000 AGL they don't need you to call). You can always talk to whoever your last ATC freq on the way in if he's the guy to call on the way out.

I have never had an actual approach control hand me off to a class D the always dump me.. I am assuming it's because the Class D's around here don't have the ability to take hand-offs?

I guess I am ok with with arriving I would just call the tower and advise them that I am inbound landing more like a transition through their airspace call. I guess I can ask the guys how they usually handle on the ground before takeoff once I am there.. Maybe I am over-thinking this since it's near a Airforce Base.. lol

Yeah call Ft. Campbell on the way in - they control the D so talk to them. They'll call out any relevant traffic and then change you to advisory frequency, nbd. On the way out I would Campbell on the ground and let them know I'm departing, they'll 'release' you in a non-IFR sense and then you switch to CTAF and go back to Campbell when clear of the pattern. But yeah ask locals, they'll know if the departure is done differently.

I bought my first airplane from Outlaw Aircraft Sales (an unfortunate name) in 1996. I had to fly west from there and was eventually cleared through the Campbell restricted airspace and could see helicopters flying low in the distance. Home of the 101st Airborne Division - cool place.

Last edited:
Call Campbell Approach 20 miles out and they'll bring you in to Outlaw (KCKV). Approach may or may not keep you up around 3000 ft until you're clear of the 23 approach end at KHOP. I've had them slam dunk me into Outlaw before when Campbell Army Airfield (KHOP) was busy. That's probably because I'm usually coming from the Northwest and closer to KHOP than your route.

You have potentially lots of Rotary/Jet/C130 traffic along w/ traffic at Outlaw and possibly traffic up the road around KHVC (Hopkinsville, KY).
It can be busy airspace at times and sometimes sleepy.

Campbell Approach will normally keep you East of the KHOP base runways but you're close in as Outlaw (KCKV) is not that far away (5 mi or so). Doesn't look like a problem with your direction of flight.
Wouldn't hurt to announce earlier on Outlaw (KCKV) CTAF on your 2nd radio if Approach holds onto you until you're closer to Outlaw.

Outlaw can have a good mix of business piston/jets along with Army and MedEvac (based at Outlaw) rotary traffic depending on the day. Not sure if the sky divers are still there but Approach should know about them and they should be NOTAMd.
Watch your traffic pattern directions at Outlaw as well.

The new terminal building is very nice. Self Serv fuel, south of the terminal, might be cheaper. I've stopped at Hopkinsville (KHVC) for cheaper gas as well.

On departure I just call Campbell Dep once airborne with intentions (make sure you stay clear of the restricted areas).

Last edited:
BTW, the folks at Campbell are wearing green, not blue. "AAF" means "Army Air Field". And that means you need to look out for swarms of green helos.
More like light brown and black helos nowadays.

Ok for some reason I had it in my mind I would be talking on the tower freq for the transition.. But I am guessing it's the same guys that are in the tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok for some reason I had it in my mind I would be talking on the tower freq for the transition.. But I am guessing it's the same guys that are in the tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question. I don't know if the same folks work Campbell APP/TWR but I've never been handed off from APP to TWR. APP has always punched me off to CTAF at Outlaw. I've been vectored real close to the KHOP runways and still not ever talked to Campbell TWR.

I've never called Campbell Tower directly as I wanted advisories because of the potential traffic in the area. You might see some cool stuff in the air!

PS. I once got rocked by C-130 traffic so be mindful of wake turbulence if there's military traffic in the area.

Last edited:
Or just use Flight Following and they will hand you off to Approach, and tell them you are going to CKV. I was based for seven years at an uncontrolled field right on the edge of Class D, they would bring me right over their field when coming from the south. Use Com2 to monitor Unicom and make your initial calls before being switched.

You may be held high until rather close, so be prepared to spiral down. My favorite was being held at 4500 until I crossed the D's centerline, leaving me four nm to descend 3000'. Two standard rate 360's did the trick.

Call Campbell Approach 20 miles out and they'll bring you in to Outlaw (KCKV). Approach may or may not keep you up around 3000 ft until you're clear of the 23 approach end at KHOP. I've had them slam dunk me into Outlaw before when Campbell Army Airfield (KHOP) was busy. That's probably because I'm usually coming from the Northwest and closer to KHOP than your route.

You have potentially lots of Rotary/Jet/C130 traffic along w/ traffic at Outlaw and possibly traffic up the road around KHVC (Hopkinsville, KY).
It can be busy airspace at times and sometimes sleepy.

Campbell Approach will normally keep you East of the KHOP base runways but you're close in as Outlaw (KCKV) is not that far away (5 mi or so). Doesn't look like a problem with your direction of flight.
Wouldn't hurt to announce earlier on Outlaw (KCKV) CTAF on your 2nd radio if Approach holds onto you until you're closer to Outlaw.

Outlaw can have a good mix of business piston/jets along with Army and MedEvac (based at Outlaw) rotary traffic depending on the day. Not sure if the sky divers are still there but Approach should know about them and they should be NOTAMd.
Watch your traffic pattern directions at Outlaw as well.

The new terminal building is very nice. Self Serv fuel, south of the terminal, might be cheaper. I've stopped at Hopkinsville (KHVC) for cheaper gas as well.

On departure I just call Campbell Dep once airborne with intentions (make sure you stay clear of the restricted areas).

This! I did all my PPL training at CKV. Campbell approach is very easy to work with and will let you pretty much do whatever as long as you remain clear of the restricted areas that are always hot. On departure just call them once you are clear of the pattern at CKV.

Back